Trade Value Expectations

Greg Pappas

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Just curious on Alberto, you would trade him for international slots or cash considerations? 

Hes only 26 and under control until 2023, and seems to have figured it out at least at the plate. If he becomes more patient and walks some he can be a real nice I

I should have said thats what I think fair value is for him now. Track records seem to really matter with trades now (look at Cashner) and he was DFA'd numerous times this offseason. 

I think he's a useful player but he doesn't hit for power and I don't think his approach (which makes him successful at making contact) can be altered to get on base more without making him a worse hitter. 

If its me I hold onto him and see he can duplicate this season and he'll have more value. But right now imo he's not worth much until he establishes more of  track record.

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I should have said thats what I think fair value is for him now. Track records seem to really matter with trades now (look at Cashner) and he was DFA'd numerous times this offseason. 

I think he's a useful player but he doesn't hit for power and I don't think his approach (which makes him successful at making contact) can be altered to get on base more without making him a worse hitter. 

If its me I hold onto him and see he can duplicate this season and he'll have more value. But right now imo he's not worth much until he establishes more of  track record.

There are 6 years of age and 3 or 4 years of control difference between Alberto and Cashner. If you can't determine fair value you just keep him. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There are 6 years of age and 3 or 4 years of control difference between Alberto and Cashner. If you can't determine fair value you just keep him. 

Yeah i agree that you hold onto Alberto if you don' get good value. 

I just brought up Cashner as an example of teams not being fooled by a good half when there's a track record of poor performance. Similarly I think teams would be skeptical of Alberto's good half due to a lack of a mlb track record.  I doubt he's traded either way.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you tender Villar a contract for 2020?

Tough call.  He's making 4.8 million this year. Probably seeking 6+ million in arbitration this off-season.  I tend to think Elias would prefer to trade him before the deadline if the return is satisfactory. JMO.

2 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Tough call.  He's making 4.8 million this year. Probably seeking 6+ million in arbitration this off-season.  I tend to think Elias would prefer to trade him before the deadline if the return is satisfactory. JMO.

I'd say at least seven.  6M is too small a number for his arb 3 year.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say at least seven.  6M is too small a number for his arb 3 year.

34 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

If 7m is the number, then I would non-tender him.

As I said ....offer him 3 years at $5 million per if you don't trade him. He's worth that per season. 

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'd be surprised to get a Top 100 straight up for Mancini, much less three others. I could be wrong, but most of us don't think we'll find out, as he's unlikely to be dealt.

I still expect to keep Mancini.  We are not forced to move him, so I think another team is going to have to overpay significantly to get him, and I don't see anyone out there likely to do so before the deadline rolls by.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rudyrooster said:

No way a guy as marginal as he gets 6+ in this market so no.