Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, it's not like Elias was hired in late January.  He didn't have a full offseason last year but IIRC, he was hired in mid-November.  I doubt there was much that could have been done to really turn Davis around that Elias missed out on between late September and mid-November.  

We'll see.  I dunno, it's the one thing that absolutely has to be addressed this offseason, IMO.  If they don't want to have some of the younger players like Mountcastle on the OD 2020 roster, fine, fine, whatever.  But if Davis is on the OD 2020 roster, it's a travashamockery. 

Or a TravisMoonery?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, it's not like Elias was hired in late January.  He didn't have a full offseason last year but IIRC, he was hired in mid-November.  I doubt there was much that could have been done to really turn Davis around that Elias missed out on between late September and mid-November.  

We'll see.  I dunno, it's the one thing that absolutely has to be addressed this offseason, IMO.  If they don't want to have some of the younger players like Mountcastle on the OD 2020 roster, fine, fine, whatever.  But if Davis is on the OD 2020 roster, it's a travashamockery. 

Wait - did you just come over to @Can_of_corn's camp?  ?

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

No.

Here’s the thing: if I’m playing I realize that the only thing keeping him on the roster is the contract. Whether it’s a nod to the old man by his sons, or their decision that they won’t throw away money without Davis at least showing up. His being on the roster is specious reasoning at best, but seeing his butt on the bench is justified because he’s terrible.

The message is still, “You earn playing time by contributing.” And he ain’t.

+1

I appreciate that description of the situation.  It's how I feel things are.  I want to believe in the brothers integrity, the organizational direction they all talked about at the introductory presser, and in the rein they committed to giving Elias.

Having the "CD Debacle" hanging over the organization isn't healthy going forward.  Someone just suggested waiting until ST, I think it has to end at the end of the season.  Maybe the announcement is made, in deference to the game, after the WS.  But the band-aid needs to come off.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva

1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

I believe the band aid will come off next year in spring training. I think CD will have one final offseason to visit a shaman and find some sort of rejuvenation machine. If he is the same CD in Sarasota, he gone. 

So how do you evaluate him?   What would they be looking for in batting practice in February/March, then in 40 or 50 ST ABs, to indicate a change>

I mean these guys are all about analytics, metrics, and process.   If they are truly going to give him one last chance in the offseason, there has to be something measurable or observable that they can discern in spring training, either by observing monitoring all his BPs or judging based on an extremely small sample of spring training plate appearances, to base a decision on.   And I can't imagine what that will be.

Anyone who makes decisions based on analytics knows the sample size needed to make a determination against anything, and that spring training games alone do not supply nearly enough sample size to make ANY sort of evaluation.   So unless there are things they can monitor in batting practice with fancy machines and cameras from the day he first shows up at camp, like bat speed or reaction time or whatever -- and I'm just guessing here I don't even know if those things are possible -- then spring training doesn't provide enough of a sample to prove anything.

Which makes me fear that if he shows up in Sarasota on February 15, he will probably be coming down the orange carpet in Baltimore on March 26.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hence me saying "also" as if the trade protection was a separate concern.  Also it isn't a NTC, it's his right as a 10-5 player.

Davis had only 9.051 years service accrued as of January 2019 according baseball reference.   He had trade protection in his contract, but it was partial. 

Had he been hitting 35-40 yrs with a BA around 260, I bet we could have dumped him to someone, if we were willing to eat maybe half the contract. 

8 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Davis had only 9.051 years service accrued as of January 2019 according baseball reference. 

Which means he only needed another 111 days to be at 172 which makes it another year or would make him a 5/10 player on July 15 or there about.

Just now, thezeroes said:

Which means he only needed another 111 days to be at 172 which makes it another year or would make him a 5/10 player on July 15 or there about.

Yes, that happened and Adam Jones tweeted his congratulations when Davis reached that mark.   

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is not a single player in the system that I am worried about them gaining 5-10 status.

It’s not a thing to worry about. You want players to be on your team for a long time. It means they’re good at their job, fan favorites, and provide a great deal of goodwill for your organization.

13 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

So he could have been traded in the offseason or early in the year, if we could find a taker.  Which only would have been possible had he been performing well. 

Davis may have done himself a favor by sucking so much.  I guess thats the reality of the MLB now.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It’s not a thing to worry about. You want players to be on your team for a long time. It means they’re good at their job, fan favorites, and provide a great deal of goodwill for your organization.

Davis is going to be on the Orioles for a long time.

Can you feel the goodwill?

I'm fine with cycling them through every six-seven years.