Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

So how do you evaluate him?   What would they be looking for in batting practice in February/March, then in 40 or 50 ST ABs, to indicate a change>

I mean these guys are all about analytics, metrics, and process.   If they are truly going to give him one last chance in the offseason, there has to be something measurable or observable that they can discern in spring training, either by observing monitoring all his BPs or judging based on an extremely small sample of spring training plate appearances, to base a decision on.   And I can't imagine what that will be.

Anyone who makes decisions based on analytics knows the sample size needed to make a determination against anything, and that spring training games alone do not supply nearly enough sample size to make ANY sort of evaluation.   So unless there are things they can monitor in batting practice with fancy machines and cameras from the day he first shows up at camp, like bat speed or reaction time or whatever -- and I'm just guessing here I don't even know if those things are possible -- then spring training doesn't provide enough of a sample to prove anything.

Which makes me fear that if he shows up in Sarasota on February 15, he will probably be coming down the orange carpet in Baltimore on March 26.  

This simply can't happen.  There's no degree of rehab or training or commitment from CD between now and then that can make him a viable roster spot in the spring, imo.  Is there anyone - still - who thinks this is a reclamation project?!

If he were a FA, he probably wouldn't get a minor league invite... maybe on a flier, but would he make it?  I don't think so.

He's going to need to do his own rehab, at his own expense (- - - on our dime), to even sniff the Majors if he's let go.  I don't think he'll ever go down that road.  I think he knows he's done.  It's going to take ownership to allow him to realize that truth in reality because he's going to collect the paycheck.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is the KBO included in the ability to block trades?  I would be on board with trading Davis there w/ 80% of his salary included?  Could "Crush" still hit HR in the KBO (with an average over .200).

Now, KBO clubs will be limited to a $1MM total outlay, and a one-season commitment, in adding non-Korean players to a roster.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/09/kbo-establishes-salary-ceiling-on-foreign-players.html

• 1 year later...