Your call up list?

wildcard

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Huh?  Most teams don't come near calling up 15 extra guys.  I have to question that statement 

Hmm, you are correct. I'm thinking about post World Series when they recall everyone, rather than the September call-ups.

The 2018 Orioles had their 25-man plus Araujo and Trumbo on 10-day DL going into September (27). They recalled eight players in September (35). We left Santander, Harvey, and Vielma in the minors, and re-assigned Susac when he came off the restricted list (39).

We also selected Corban Joseph, Ortiz, Stewart, and Means after we cut Gentry and put Trumbo/Araujo/Hays on 60DL.

I can't account for a 40th player, but it's possible we only had 39 to end the season. I'm not going to do the math to find out.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Do you honestly believe that promoting a young(ish) guy like Bruce Zimmermann, who has a back of rotation ceiling, before he logs a bunch of AAA innings has any impact on the rebuild?

Just him? Of course not. But the idea is to have a plan for the majority of players not named Rutschman. And Zimmerman is definitely not that caliber of player.

The big picture is to take time developing these guys. Patience grasshopper.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Just him? Of course not. But the idea is to have a plan for the majority of players not named Rutschman. And Zimmerman is definitely not that caliber of player.

The big picture is to take time developing these guys. Patience grasshopper.

I think that is backwards. I am fine being patient with the top end, potential difference makers like Hall, Grayson and Adley, even Wells, Lowther and Baumann. But I don’t see any reason to hold back guys like Zimmerman and Akin. Throw them out there and see if you have anything to work with there instead of continuing the parade of trash heap pickups.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think that is backwards. I am fine being patient with the top end, potential difference makers like Hall, Grayson and Adley, even Wells, Lowther and Baumann. But I don’t see any reason to hold back guys like Zimmerman and Akin. Throw them out there and see if you have anything to work with there instead of continuing the parade of trash heap pickups.

So, you’d rather keep guys with much higher ceilings and who are more likely to move quickly through the system in the minors longer?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

But I don’t see any reason to hold back guys like Zimmerman and Akin. Throw them out there and see if you have anything to work with there instead of continuing the parade of trash heap pickups.

Do you really think they’re being held back?  What if the FO is listening to the guys in charge at whatever level you choose and then assess that perhaps they’re not ready yet?

The trash heap is what it is. I’d rather they promote guys when they’re ready and not because it’ll be some temporary feel good moment for this year’s frustrations.

Do you really think they’re being held back?  What if the FO is listening to the guys in charge at whatever level you choose and then assess that perhaps they’re not ready yet?

The trash heap is what it is. I’d rather they promote guys when they’re ready and not because it’ll be some temporary feel good moment for this year’s frustrations.

I don’t believe whether or not they are called up now or stay in AAA has any impact on their development.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Has anyone outside Bundy, Means or Cashner deserved their starts this season?

Maybe not. Wojo has a couple nice ones. What does that have to do with your claim about them holding back Zimmerman or Akin?

Do you really think they’ve earned promotions?

Maybe not. Wojo has a couple nice ones. What does that have to do with your claim about them holding back Zimmerman or Akin?

Zimmerman just got to Norfolk. No reason to bring him up until next year.

Akin pitched the entire season and was the Tides'' best pitcher and was an all-star. He didn't pitch as well as most hoped, but he probably deserves a shot. We need the five spots in next year's  AAA rotation for Lowther, Zimmerman, Kremer, Wells and Baumann.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

WTF do you even mean by “earning promotions”? Did the bums we’ve signed earn contracts? Yes, if we are starting bad pitchers that no other team wanted, it is preventing our 24 year old minor leaguers from getting starts.