Does O's management want to win in Sept?

wildcard

I say yes.  They wants to win about 33% of their games.  They don't want a long winning streak because that might lose them their #2 draft pick next June.   They are about 3 games behind KC and that is probably were they want to stay IMO.

This could be Elias' last chance to get a top 5 draft pick.   At least he has to hope that is true.   The Bowie pitchers are probably going to start to arrive in the majors next July.   Elias probably hope that moves the team up in the standing in the 2nd half next season.

If I step back and look at the goal for September its to get the #2 pick.  Playing .500 or greater  like they did in July the rest of the way does nothing for them.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

I say yes.  They wants to win about 33% of their games.  They don't want a long winning streak because that might lose them their #2 draft pick next June.   They are about 3 games behind KC and that is probably were they want to stay IMO.

This could be Elias' last chance to get a top 5 draft pick.   At least he has to hope that is true.   The Bowie pitchers are probably going to start to arrive in the majors next July.   Elias probably hope that moves the team up in the standing in the 2nd half next season.

If I step back and look at the goal for September its to get the #2 pick.  Playing .500 or greater  like they did in July the rest of the way does nothing for them.

What?  I think the team and players play to win every day. I think the FO hopes are irrelevant. They won't be involved in on field results

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Why. You expect a competitive team for next season? The payroll itself will preclude that. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Why. You expect a competitive team for next season? The payroll itself will preclude that. 

Contending team next year?  No.   But not a top 5 losing team next year either.  Once the pitching begins to improve the O's will begin to win more.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Contending team next year?  No.   But not a top 5 losing team next year either.  Once the pitching begins to improve the O's will begin to win more.

No. They will still be trading performing assets. The only reason that did not happen this year is no one wanted the Os assets. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

What?  I think the team and players play to win every day. I think the FO hopes are irrelevant. They won't be involved in on field results

Even though the players play to win every game, Hyde and Elias have opportunities to influence wins by the players  they play.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Even though the players play to win every game, Hyde and Elias have opportunities to influence wins by the players  they play.

No. Hyde does. Elias is not influencing on field play.  This is not a two headed monster. It never has been. Hyde plays the guys. Elias runs the show. 

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's Team ERA: 5.78 (30th in MLB)

O's Team OPS: .722 (25th in MLB)

It is true that our offense hasn't been that bad.  We're not bottom 5 in OPS, Runs, HRs, OBP, AVG, anything. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

The question would be what is the floor for losing teams in 2020. 

Bottom

2018 47 Wins

2017 64 Wins

2016 59 Wins

2015 63 Wins

2014 64 Wins

5TH from the bottom

2018 64 Wins

2017 68 Wins

2016 68 Wins

2015 68 Wins

2014 70 Wins

If the floor improves to 68 Wins that can change he outlook of any season.  The floor would have risen by 21 games over what the Orioles did last year.

1 minute ago, weams said:

No. They will still be trading performing assets. The only reason that did not happen this year is no one wanted the Os assets. 

That will be interesting this off season.   I am sure that will say everyone is available but who they trade if anyone is a big question.  

14 minutes ago, weams said:

No. Hyde does. Elias is not influencing on field play.  This is not a two headed monster. It never has been. Hyde plays the guys. Elias runs the show. 

Hyde  and Elias talk everyday.  What do you think they talk about?  The weather?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think they are in sync on the goals for the season and I think getting a high draft choice is high on the list of goals.

Nope. They will play their hearts out. All of them. And Elias is currently uninvolved. 

Archived