What impact will Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart have in 2020?

wildcard

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm looking for big contributions from Hays and Mountcastle.  At least with Mountcastle's bat.  I think Hays should be at an .825 OPS or so with good to great defense.  If all breaks well, he could be on the bubble for an All-Star nod.  

Stewart, not expecting much.  

That's a lot to expect from a rookie.

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's steady over there. I don't think he can make the occasional excellent play that Davis still can, but even Davis isn't that good anymore. 

Who do you want over there, Keith Hernandez? 

I think metrics say Keith was awful. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

N

No alternative?   Alberto and Wilkerson both play 2B.   Villar plays  2B if he is still with the team.

Let's assume that Villar is traded, as he should be. Wilkerson is a classic utility guy but not an everyday player.

I agree that Alberto has potential at 2B. I don't quite believe his bat. Even with his crazy year, he has a terrible OBP and only hit .609 OPS vs RHP. I still believe he is ideally suited as a weak side platoon player/PH. I do not think he is a good long term solution as everyday 2B. How about platoon Alberto vs LHP and Mountcastle vs RHP, with Mountcastle shifting to LF or DH vs LHP?

Who else? Bannon? He hit in a small sample at Norfolk but only .740 at Bowie.

Now, maybe Mountcastle is "that bad" that it's not even worth a shot. I guess that's my question. From what I heard, the main problem with him at SS/3B has been arm, but that is less of a concern at 2B.

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Let's assume that Villar is traded, as he should be. Wilkerson is a classic utility guy but not an everyday player.

I agree that Alberto has potential at 2B. I don't quite believe his bat. Even with his crazy year, he has a terrible OBP and only hit .609 OPS vs RHP. I still believe he is ideally suited as a weak side platoon player/PH. I do not think he is a good long term solution as everyday 2B. How about platoon Alberto vs LHP and Mountcastle vs RHP, with Mountcastle shifting to LF or DH vs LHP?

Now, maybe Mountcastle is "that bad" that it's not even worth a shot. I guess that's my question. From what I heard, the main problem with him at SS/3B has been arm, but that is less of a concern at 2B.

With the shift, 2B play most right-handed hitters on the other side of second base and left-handed hitters in short right field. It's not a place to stash a guy with a weak arm anymore.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The thing about Mountcastle at 2B is that I have heard or seen nothing for the O's about him playing there. Only LF1B/DH.   So you can hope for it but so far there is nothing to make it seem like it would happen.

Alberto defense at  2B got better that better has the season went on.  Alberto had dramatic splits this season making it seem like he  didn't hit righties  well.   How he was not like the at AAA last season.  I expect that the O's will work with him on hitting righties in ST.  And i think he gets a chance to be a everyday player next season.   

Wilkerson all hit righties but not lefties last season.  But hit lefties in the minors.

Ruiz has not hit lefties in the minors or the majors.  He is more a platoon candidate IMO.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Those are pretty high expectations for Hays, at least in this early part of his career.   I’m a huge fan, but I’m not going to bite hook, line and sinker based on a nice run of 75 PA this year.    

Yeah. We should all be ecstatic if he hits that well.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle will start the year playing LF in Norfolk where he will most likely play a couple of weeks there. This will be because of service time and they can't just taxi him and start him exactly when they would get the extra year because they would give the union cause for a grievance. 

If the O's want a 7th year of Mountcastle he has to stay in the minors  until April 10th.   But there are not regular season minor games until April 9th.   So I think he gets sent down around March 26th, plays some minor league ST games until the 10th and is recall to face the Pirates on April 10th.

No taxi squad.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's want a 7th year of Mountcastle he has to stay in the minors  until April 10th.   But there are not regular season minor games until April 9th.   So I think he gets sent down around March 26th, plays some minor league ST games until the 10th and is recall to face the Pirates on April 10th.

No taxi squad.

If I'm the Union and the O's do that, and it's not an injury, I file a grievance.  It is simply too blatant an attempt. 

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm the Union and the O's do that, and it's not an injury, I file a grievance.  It is simply too blatant an attempt. 

Yeah, they may not pull a full Kris Bryant (called up one day after he would have qualified for a full year).    It’ll probably be more like George Springer (six days short of being credited for a full year).     ?

In reality, I’ll guess he spends most/all of April in the minors.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, they may not pull a full Kris Bryant (called up one day after he would have qualified for a full year).    It’ll probably be more like George Springer (six days short of being credited for a full year).     ?

Of course if they were to cut Davis to make room for Mountcastle that would be a big enough distraction to hide an invasion of Poland.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In 2014 the Astros began the season on April 1st.    Springer was called up on April 15th.   Back then players had to spend 12 days in the minors for the club to get a 7th year.   The Astros didn't have a game on the 14th  so Springer was called up 1 game after he qualified for  7 years.

Here is a article on the call up.

https://www.mlb.com/news/houston-astros-outfield-prospect-george-springer-called-up/c-72209994

No grievance was filed.