Thursday's Hot Stove Show

Going Underground

Just now, Philip said:

Well, it seems that one of the priorities is a “defensive shortstop” so apparently Richie Martin did not make the front office smile. That kind of disappoints me, I really liked the guy

Mike said his bat was overmatched at the Mlb level but he made progress as the season went on. He said his glove was MLB ready. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I understand this comment.   Are Wasdin, Clark and Beyeler still in the organization?   Or is somebody else getting reassigned?

Twitter on the fly - sorry. His words were that last season's three coaches will remain in the organization in different roles, and their vacated spots will be filled by what he said was "three new coaches" (not sure if definitely from outside the organization or not).

If I can replay the facebook live video, I'll fill in the exact quote later. 

2 minutes ago, justD said:

Twitter on the fly - sorry. His words were that last season's three coaches will remain in the organization in different roles, and their vacated spots will be filled by what he said was "three new coaches" (not sure if definitely from outside the organization or not).

If I can replay the facebook live video, I'll fill in the exact quote later. 

I think that’s good enough, Denise. Rich wrote something similar.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s good enough, Denise. Rich wrote something similar.  

Okay, I listened to it again. Those three guys are gone. Roch asked if people from within the organization could be moved around to fill them. His answer was some movement may occur, but regardless, there will ultimately be three new ML coaches. 

Which means it won't necessarily be that each spot vacated will be filled from outside; after shifting around, it may be other spots that get filled from outside, but there will be three spots filled at the major league level from outside. 

Gad this got convoluted, but it was far too many words said in the interview for me to quote! 

40 minutes ago, weams said:

Mike said his bat was overmatched at the Mlb level but he made progress as the season went on. He said his glove was MLB ready. 

Well, that probably translates as, “Richie Martin will start in the minors, and we will get an experienced and very cheap Veteran SS.”

still disappointed. 

Not a single mention about dropping Fanfest after 30 years.

I wrote Roch on Twitter and asked him to ask, and then listened to the radio. Nada.

I know that there was only 1 hour of time, and they had a lot to talk about with coaches and players. But Fanfest is a recent event, and people are talking about it. I listen to 105.7 The Fan every day, and some callers and some of the Announcers are talking about it. People are interested. 30 seconds talking about it wouldn't have been out of order.

Just now, Carllamy said:

Not a single mention about dropping Fanfest after 30 years.

I wrote Roch on Twitter and asked him to ask, and then listened to the radio. Nada.

I know that there was only 1 hour of time, and they had a lot to talk about with coaches and players. But Fanfest is a recent event, and people are talking about it. I listen to 105.7 The Fan every day, and some callers and some of the Announcers are talking about it. People are interested. 30 seconds talking about it wouldn't have been out of order.

Did I mention. That they had an entire table devoted to fresh vegetables. The pasta salad was very very good also. Not overcooked or overdressed. Real tasty. 

I live in Texas so many of these issues are not relevant to me.

but if I’m a single woman and six guys come up and start washing my car, I’m going to be nervous.

if security is an issue, and it always is an issue, the team needs to hire private security or Baltimore PD until the last fan is home, which includes subway security if necessary.

I can watch for free at home. You’ve got to give me multiple good reasons to pay $100+ to go in person, and safety is even more important than having a good team.

I realize that as out-of-towner,  none of this applies to me unless I can talk my wife and they’re going to a game with me, but the fact is bad customer relations will quite literally destroy the team. Great marketing can go a long way towards compensating for a bad team, but bad marketing can easily cancel out a good team. Because we can always watch at home.