The Jonathan Villar Appreciation Thread

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you care about this season just call up Henderson and Westburg.

If you don't it doesn't make a difference if it's Nevin or Villar.

Villar is the "hedge" option.  Play Villar, see where the team is at in a month.  If they're in it, then burn the service year with Gunnar and Westburg.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It was a thing of beauty for sure. Not something you see very often, a clean punch in baseball hahaha

He stayed short and inside the jaw. Joey was staggered. He didn’t want that smoke. Odor even backed away after the initial blow. 

• Upvote 1

Villar hit pretty well for us, and stole some bases and all. Sure. He also got caught stealing, often had some of the most boneheaded plays on the bases. He was very inconsistent in the field as well. One of the more maddening players I have followed. I seriously doubt Hyde would want him back. Of course he would never say that in public. But as a major league manager, who the heck would want that? 

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Villar was officially released by the Cubs. He’s free to sign anywhere now. 

Villar was my favorite active Oriole why he was here. Not sure why he overachieved here but it was fun. I don’t see why he would make sense unless you have a deal for Odor. He’s only good at 2B.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Villar was my favorite active Oriole why he was here. Not sure why he overachieved here but it was fun. I don’t see why he would make sense unless you have a deal for Odor. He’s only good at 2B.

I doubt we’ll get anything for Odor. Send down Nevin or Arauz. 

Villar has slid right into the leadoff spot for the Angels, who got the win behind Ohtani in Miami tonight, so will not pitch the 4-gamer against us.

Szymborski today on the midseason ZiPS update had this very Arte Moreno tidbit

Imagine having Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout healthy and having fewer wins than the Orioles in the toughest division in baseball. Los Angeles’ early-season surprise standouts like Brandon Marsh and Michael Lorenzen have collapsed over the last month, and the roster has 16 players below replacement level over the last 30 days. Contrast that with the Yankees, who have only two, with one of them, Miguel Andújar, playing in just two games.

Brown in broadcast tonight had the detail the Nevin family reunion on hold until Saturday while Phil finishes last two games of his suspension.

The Orioles, Rangers and Angels are the three current AL teams rounding to .050's playing about .450 ball YTD.