2019 MLB Winter Meetings Grande Thread

weams

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could sign some young guys to long term contracts. 

Yes, that would be both interesting and exciting.  Those are the only two that could be candidates.  I wouldn't do that with a pitcher and Means is the kind of guy that's going to have to prove himself every year anyway.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd start with Hays and Mountcastle.  I don't feel like figuring out deal specifications.

We’ve had this conversation many times.    There were a few contracts like this handed out in the last year or two:

Scott Kingery, 6/$24 mm before he’d played a game in the majors.  Team options for $13/$14/$15 mm for three FA years.    Covers ages 24-32.   Was BA #31 prospect.   Produced -1.3 rWAR in the first year of the deal but improved to 3.0 rWAR in year two.

Brandon Lowe: 6/$24 mm after one partial season (43 games) in the majors.   Team options for $10.5 mm/$11.5 mm for two FA years.   Covers ages 24-30.   Was BA #93 prospect before his partial debut season.   Produced 0.7 rWAR in the partial season before he signed, and 2.9 rWAR in the first year of the deal.

Eloy Jimenez: 6/$43 mm before he’d played a game in the majors.  Team options at $16.5/$18.5 mm for two FA years.   Covers ages 22-29.   Was BA #3 prospect before his debut season.   Produced 1.4 rWAR in first year of his deal.

We did a poll two years ago while Hays was the BA no. 21 prospect and 63% said they’d give him the Kingery deal.    Some tarnish on him now, but I expect many would still do it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ve had this conversation many times.    There were a few contracts like this handed out in the last year or two:

Scott Kingery, 6/$24 mm before he’d played a game in the majors.  Team options for $13/$14/$15 mm for three FA years.    Covers ages 24-32.   Was BA #31 prospect.   Produced -1.3 rWAR in the first year of the deal but improved to 3.0 rWAR in year two.

Brandon Lowe: 6/$24 mm after one partial season (43 games) in the majors.   Team options for $10.5 mm/$11.5 mm for two FA years.   Covers ages 24-30.   Was BA #93 prospect before his partial debut season.   Produced 0.7 rWAR in the partial season before he signed, and 2.9 rWAR in the first year of the deal.

Eloy Jimenez: 6/$43 mm before he’d played a game in the majors.  Team options at $16.5/$18.5 mm for two FA years.   Covers ages 22-29.   Was BA #3 prospect before his debut season.   Produced 1.4 rWAR in first year of his deal.

We did a poll two years ago while Hays was the BA no. 21 prospect and 63% said they’d give him the Kingery deal.    Some tarnish on him now, but I expect many would still do it.

Tim Anderson?

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Just heard that they might come down hard on the Astros manager and GM.Also might also go after some former coaches like Beltran and other former front office personnel. 

Well if Mike was involved, he sure did not bring any of the special activities along to Baltimore. Sig was in the minors in 17 and Mike mostly in the Dominican. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Well if Mike was involved, he sure did not bring any of the special activities along to Baltimore. Sig was in the minors in 17 and Mike mostly in the Dominican. 

No Mike or Sig mentioned.

There is widespread speculation across the industry that MLB will come down hard on the Astros, with penalties including fines, loss of draft picks and lengthy suspensions for those involved in the sign-stealing scheme — including, potentially, Hinch and General Manager Jeff Luhnow. And the punishment could spread beyond Houston, because Boston Red Sox Manager Alex Cora and new New York Mets Manager Carlos Beltran were with the Astros in 2017 and are reportedly implicated in the scheme.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mlb/astros-manager-aj-hinch-sign-stealing/2019/12/10/701b1058-1b82-11ea-8d58-5ac3600967a1_story.html

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Tim Anderson?

Depends where you want to draw the line.   Anderson had 115 days of service (99 games) when he signed his deal.    As it turns out, he would have missed the Super-2 cutoff by 19 days if he hadn’t signed his deal.   And then you have Acuna, who had 159 days of service when he signed his deal.    I see both those cases as a little different than the ones I listed above, because their teams had a longer look at them before they signed them up, even though both had 6 years of service time remaining.