2019 MLB Winter Meetings Grande Thread

weams

Elias again stated he wanted a 4th catcher, but it would be on a minor league deal.

I don't quite get it. Are they looking for a "veteran" that they can have in the system for now that can be in the system for a few years and be a backup to Rutschman in 2 years? That is the only reason I can think of to publicly say "we want a 4th guy," or or he could be hoping Severino has a good Spring and he can jettison him for a low level prospect.

Because if they just want a body, they don't have to look for a MLB free agent. They could take a Minor League free agent and either take one with MLB experience (Taylor Davis) or one that would mainly be just a Norfolk body (Wynston Sawyer.) They also still have Cervenka (who should be in Norfolk this year).

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Elias again stated he wanted a 4th catcher, but it would be on a minor league deal.

I don't quite get it. Are they looking for a "veteran" that they can have in the system for now that can be in the system for a few years and be a backup to Rutschman in 2 years? That is the only reason I can think of to publicly say "we want a 4th guy," or or he could be hoping Severino has a good Spring and he can jettison him for a low level prospect.

Because if they just want a body, they don't have to look for a MLB free agent. They could take a Minor League free agent and either take one with MLB experience (Taylor Davis) or one that would mainly be just a Norfolk body (Wynston Sawyer.) They also still have Cervenka (who should be in Norfolk this year).

Isn't as simple as they want to upgrade?

22 minutes ago, weams said:

I saw that Jonah Heim was crushing. Maybe he can be gotten. 

A's just put him on the 40 man roster last month, so...Doubtful.

A few, cheap "had upside as a prospect and might just need a new spot" contenders were Beau Taylor and Nick Cuiffo before they signed recently with the Indians and Rangers.

These contracts going out, and being an Orioles fan, has me seriously questioning if I want to follow baseball anymore. I simply don't see a world where the Orioles can compete year in and year out in this environment. Don't get me wrong, that 5 year run was fun, but now we're back to at least 5 years of this before what, another 5 year run and recycle? Makes it really hard to stay invested into the sport honestly.

Just now, Nite said:

These contracts going out, and being an Orioles fan, has me seriously questioning if I want to follow baseball anymore. I simply don't see a world where the Orioles can compete year in and year out in this environment. Don't get me wrong, that 5 year run was fun, but now we're back to at least 5 years of this before what, another 5 year run and recycle? Makes it really hard to stay invested into the sport honestly.

If the Rays can do it the O's can do it.

If Oakland can do it the O's can do it.

The template exists.

3 minutes ago, Nite said:

I think the Orioles have more money then they’d like you to believe at this point.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For those in the save money so they can spend it when they are competitive camps, notice that both the Cubs and the Astros are talking about getting rid of players because they are getting too expensive?  I guess they spent all the money they had saved up.

It's all about value. The Astros probably feel like they can continue to compete at a financial level that makes sense for their market and by not overpaying for players on the decline. We're going to see! Hopefully, if the Astros take a dip in the next couple years, it doesn't require a full tear down to return to contention. At least that's the idea.  

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's all about value. The Astros probably feel like they can continue to compete at a financial level that makes sense for their market and by not overpaying for players on the decline. We're going to see! Hopefully, if the Astros take a dip in the next couple years, it doesn't require a full tear down to return to contention. At least that's the idea.  

A market as large as the Astros should easily be able to handle staying at the soft cap level of spending not even counting the money they saved when they gutted payroll.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A market as large as the Astros should easily be able to handle staying at the soft cap level of spending not even counting the money they saved when they gutted payroll.

So then it's all about value. Don't spend stupidly, but still compete. Take advantage of market inefficiencies. It's a business after all. Isn't that what we've been wanting the Orioles to do forever? 

Your real problem is with capitalism, not baseball owners. Which I would agree with, I'm just saying.