Chance Adams?

shaggyjay

38 minutes ago, shaggyjay said:

Chance Adams was just DFA'd by the Yanks to make room for Gerrit Cole. I know we were hoping to get him back as a trade piece in a potential deal for Machado at one point. I'll be bummed if we don't snatch him up!

I think I’ll be able to sleep at night.   

Only Detroit has higher wavier priority than us.  Former top 100 prospect pre-2018.  He'll still only be 25 on OD.  Has an option remaining.  59 GS in AAA.  We should be all over him.  He's better than our bottom five on the 40 man.  Whoever you think that might be.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=adams-008cha

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Only Detroit has higher wavier priority than us.  Former top 100 prospect pre-2018.  He'll still only be 25 on OD.  Has an option remaining.  59 GS in AAA.  We should be all over him.  He's better than our bottom five on the 40 man.  Whoever you think that might be.  

Don't you think they will trade him first?

1 minute ago, weams said:

I'd be disappointed to have them be traded. 

As opposed to just doing nothing with them like last year.  Based on his AAA numbers, Adams arguably would be only behind Means on the SP depth chart.  This is the type of move that rebuilding clubs need to do.  It could be even be a pre-cursor to a Givens trade.  

19 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Do you see any difference in last year and this year?

It might be a catch 22 with the Yankees.  They'd use the international slot money and probably come away with better assets than Chance Adams.  So we'd just be helping them out 5 years down the road, which is around the time we'd be competitive.  

I'm all for Adams.  Between Adams, Bailey, and Rucker, you could piece together two rotation spots.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The more the merrier, wouldn't give up much but he would be a better use of a 40-man spot than at least a half-dozen players on our roster.

He's basically in the same boat that Akin is in.  He's a few months younger, but has two less options.  

Adams

Akin

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=akin--000kee

Here's what the write up from MLB pipeline said in 2018,

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Though Adams only started for one of his three college seasons and dominated as a reliever while reaching high Class A in his 2015 pro debut, the Yankees decided to move him to the rotation. It's hard to argue with the results, as he went 28-6 with a 2.40 ERA and 279 strikeouts in 277 2/3 innings in 2016-17. He led the Triple-A International League in opponent average (.197) last season after topping the entire Minors (.169) the year before.

After sitting at 93-95 mph with his fastball in his first two seasons as pro starter, Adams had offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow and has operated at 91-93 in 2018. His slider has lost a couple of ticks of velocity as well and isn't as sharp as it has been in the past.

Besides regaining his velocity, the key for Adams to reaching his upside as a No. 3 starter will be refining his changeup into a solid third offering. He also has a curveball that's his fourth-best pitch yet still qualifies as average. He lives on the corners and the bottom of the strike zone, making it difficult to square him up.