Reality: Our 2009 Rotation

joew

Let's stop dreaming about all the high profile SPs. We won't be getting a single one let alone dream about getting all four.

1.) Guthrie

2.) Jim Johnson

3.) Kyle Lohse / Paul Byrd type player

4.) DCab

5.) Matt Albers/Troy Patton

8th inning - Chris Ray and 9th inning George Sherrill with Chris taking over mid way with us trading Sherrill at the deadline if we are out of contention. Ideally, I hope we lock Ray into a long term deal if he shows his old form. Let's not let a BJ Ryan situation re-occur where we make him the closer before his FA year and have him leave.

Our #1 target will be Mark Tex because our offense will not repeat the same run production without him. It'll be real sad if we don't land a big bat. As bad as Baez was in 2007, hopefully him and Ray will be a good replacement for Albers and Johnson. Once again, we'll be lucky to be .500 but if our rotation stays solid with young arms coming up. Maybe we can be the Rays of 2008 but in 2010.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I think it will be:

1. Guthrie

2. Burnett

3. Cabrera

4. Albers

5. Liz

What I would like it to be:

1. Guthrie

2. Burnett

3. Albers

4. Bergesen

5. Berken

Make Olson earn a rotation spot in ST, if not, put him in the pen. Put Liz in the pen to start the season.

I don't think it's real wise to count on Albers for much of anything next year. As has been discussed ad nauseum around here, labrum injuries are no joke and hard to surgical repair.

This may sound perverse but I hope they find something wrong w Danny's arm. It would make me feel better about what has been a mystifying two year decline in velocity and overall stuff. If he's healthy I think you have to continue to trot him out there.

P.S. I don't think its a terrible idea to see if JJ can start. However, he can't be expected to pitch 200 innings next year, and thus, should probably at least start the year in the pen.

I don't think it's real wise to count on Albers for much of anything next year. As has been discussed ad nauseum around here, labrum injuries are no joke and hard to surgical repair.

This may sound perverse but I hope they find something wrong w Danny's arm. It would make me feel better about what has been a mystifying two year decline in velocity and overall stuff. If he's healthy I think you have to continue to trot him out there.

P.S. I don't think its a terrible idea to see if JJ can start. However, he can't be expected to pitch 200 innings next year, and thus, should probably at least start the year in the pen.

Pitchers can pitch with a slight tear in their labrum but I do agree that we shouldn't count on him to be able to pitch 170+ innings.

Pitchers can pitch with a slight tear in their labrum but I do agree that we shouldn't count on him to be able to pitch 170+ innings.

Fair enough, but hell, he might still have to go under the knife. In that case kiss goodbye 2009 and project 2010 as a rehab year. We shall see.

Fair enough, but hell, he might still have to go under the knife. In that case kiss goodbye 2009 and project 2010 as a rehab year. We shall see.

No doubt about that...If he has to have surgery, we may have seen the last of Albers for anything, much less starting next year.

Let's hope that doesn't happen though...he was vital to our early success and is a big piece of the future out of that pen.

His future was likely in the pen anyway.

No doubt about that...If he has to have surgery, we may have seen the last of Albers for anything, much less starting next year.

Let's hope that doesn't happen though...he was vital to our early success and is a big piece of the future out of that pen.

His future was likely in the pen anyway.

Agree with all of this.

This is what I think it will be:

1. Guthrie

2. Burnett

3. Cabrera

4. Albers

5. Liz

What I would like it to be:

1. Guthrie

2. Burnett

3. Albers

4. Bergesen

5. Berken

Make Olson earn a rotation spot in ST, if not, put him in the pen. Put Liz in the pen to start the season.

What I think:

1. Guthrie

2. Burnett

3. DCab

4. Olson/Bergeson/Albers/Liz

5. Olson/Bergeson/Albers/Liz

*With an outside chance of a Paul Byrd/Jarrod Washburn/Javier Vasquez type guy added.

What I'd like

1. Sheets (3/51 or 4/64)

2. Guthrie

3. Burnett (3/36)

4. Javier Vasquez (traded for DCab)

5. Olson/Bergeson

*If DCab is not dealt, move him to the pen and make Olson and Bergeson the 4/5 pitchers.

What I think:

1. Guthrie

2. Burnett

3. DCab

4. Olson/Bergeson/Albers/Liz

5. Olson/Bergeson/Albers/Liz

*With an outside chance of a Paul Byrd/Jarrod Washburn/Javier Vasquez type guy added.

What I'd like

1. Sheets (3/51 or 4/64)

2. Guthrie

3. Burnett (3/36)

4. Javier Vasquez (traded for DCab)

5. Olson/Bergeson

*If DCab is not dealt, move him to the pen and make Olson and Bergeson the 4/5 pitchers.

Why would the Sox even remotely think about this?

Guthrie is an obvious lock.

I think Burnett is the most likely FA pitcher we sign(talking multiyear deal here) IF AM wants to go after him.

I also look for them to either sign a Lohse-type pitcher to a one year deal or make a deal like Walker for Cedeno and Marquis.

So...

Guthrie

Burnett

Marquis/FA for 1 year deal pitcher

2 of DCab, Olson, Penn, Bergesen, Berken, Liz

I should've noted we'd most likely have to add another piece. But it would be to save money and hope that DCab can meet some of his potential.

That piece would have to be pretty damn good.

Why do the Sox need to save money and why would any team bank anything on DCab right now?

That piece would have to be pretty damn good.

Why do the Sox need to save money and why would any team bank anything on DCab right now?

Because they have a $121 million dollar payroll.

If we sent them Penn and DCab I think they'd have a hard time turning down that offer.

Archived