Former Orioles Released

PaulBako

Two former orioles were released today, Kris Benson of the Phillies and Kurt Burkins of the Rays. Both were struggling in the minors. Man, we used to have bad players!

Wow. Anybody wanna take a flier on Benson? Not like he'd be holding anyone down.

Two former orioles were released today, Kris Benson of the Phillies and Kurt Burkins of the Rays. Both were struggling in the minors. Man, we used to have bad players!

Benson wasn't bad at all, he just got hurt. I was thinking just the other day about how we really could have used a guy like the 2006 version of Benson over the last 2 seasons.

Wow. Anybody wanna take a flier on Benson? Not like he'd be holding anyone down.

If I recall Trembley said not to look for the team to go out and get veteran also-rans pitchers like they did last September. When the team brought in Victor Zambrano or Victor Santos...

If I recall Trembley said not to look for the team to go out and get veteran also-rans pitchers like they did last September. When the team brought in Victor Zambrano or Victor Santos...

I can understand there is no need to do anything in this otherwise lost season. But it has become more and more obvious that the number of real ML pitchers the O's currently have can be counted on one hand. The staff is loaded with mediocre, bad, and cast-offs now, so they're going to have to find a lot of pitching in the off-season. While it appears some immediate help may be in the minors, we will need more. Despite the influx of pitching from the Bedard and Tejada trades, the injuries this year showed that it wasn't enough.

Benson wasn't bad at all, he just got hurt. I was thinking just the other day about how we really could have used a guy like the 2006 version of Benson over the last 2 seasons.

No question he was exactly what we have needed the last 2 years. Remember the 2006 line:

"Benson, Bedard then pray real hard."

Benson, in 2006, had an ERA+ of 96. Trachsel did better than that in 2007, with an ERA+ of 103. He would be a small improvement over Cabrera this year, but I don't really miss him.

Benson, in 2006, had an ERA+ of 96. Trachsel did better than that in 2007, with an ERA+ of 103. He would be a small improvement over Cabrera this year, but I don't really miss him.

Well, it's all hypothetical since Benson got hurt and has been unable to return. But all I can say is that if we could have had a pitcher repeat Benson's performance from 2006 in 2007-08 that would have been a tremendous help in stabilizing the staff.

You are right that Trachsel's ERA+ was slightly better in 2007 than Benson's in 2006. But, Trachsel averaged 5.6 IP/start, while Benson averaged 6.1. Plus, Benson missed fewer starts. And he was easier to watch, if I may say so.

Archived