MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Yes I'm so out of touch that I dumped all of my investments in a panic...oh wait that was you.  Have fun preparing for the apocalypse. 

Yeah I just saved a ton of losses. I am down 4 percent on the year and the SP 500 is down 15 percent.  I am so stupid to not have lost 11 percent.  It will keep going down.  When it is down low enough I will buy back in.  That isn't even panic it is just being smart.  Why keep holdings when you can buy back in much lower?

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

How nice of them. Taking a  cruise now is crazy.

Princess Cruises also said Monday that because of “the extraordinary circumstances onboard Grand Princess,” the company would refund the cruise fare paid by guests and not charge them for “any onboard incidental charges” during their extra days stuck aboard the ship.

Also people are so stupid. Calling the Corona beer customer service and complaining to them for causing  the virus.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1237088548051980295?s=20

Someone stuck on the cruise posted the letter they received from the cruise that said they were giving them a $300 credit that they could use at the spa, excursions, at the bar and the boutique.  But they aren't allowed to leave their rooms.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Yeah I just saved a ton of losses. I am down 4 percent on the year and the SP 500 is down 15 percent.  I am so stupid to not have lost 11 percent.  It will keep going down.  When it is down low enough I will buy back in.  That isn't even panic it is just being smart.  Why keep holdings when you can buy back in much lower?

Those are unrealized losses while yours are now realized.  Trying to time the market hardly ever works but good luck.  I am young so wild fluctuations in the market do not bother me, by the time I need to access any of this money I will never even remember the coronavirus was a thing.  I understand everyone has a different situation so that criticism was probably unwarranted. 

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Those are unrealized losses while yours are now realized.  Trying to time the market hardly ever works but good luck.  I am young so wild fluctuations in the market do not bother me, by the time I need to access any of this money I will never even remember the coronavirus was a thing.  I understand everyone has a different situation so that criticism was probably unwarranted. 

I had no losses. I made a ton of money off the market  Everything I sold was at a great profit. I can buy in at any time.  So I am not sure what your point is.  You are saying I can't time the market but I just did.  I saw what was happening and I sold and kept the vast majority of my profits.  Do you think I should have kept Disney and Chevron?  How did they do today.  Thanks I will take my profits and wait until things are cheap.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I had no losses. I made a ton of money off the market  Everything I sold was at a great profit. I can buy in at any time.  So I am not sure what your point is.  You are saying I can't time the market but I just did.  I saw what was happening and I sold and kept the vast majority of my profits.  Do you think I should have kept Disney and Chevron?  How did they do today.  Thanks I will take my profits and wait until things are cheap.  

I regret getting into this at this point but you stand to gain nothing beyond what you would if you just waited it out.  I'm done on this topic and I wish you the best of luck.  I think the old adage of "time in the market beats timing in the market" comes to mind.  Also you didn't time it because you didn't buy back in yet, I have my doubts you will do that properly given my impression of your general capabilities. 

42 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sorry, I dont find the caption very funny as I have members in the category.

I do not believe this is the plaque that will wipe out 1/3 the population, but sadly for some, its a very real concern.

Yeah either do I.  I think the worry is everyone gets sick at once and there is no medical care which could cause death rate to be higher. But as 80 percent do fine without medical care (Pneuomnia at worst)..  And not everyone will catch this.  Probably 8 percent is the worst it could be. 

Just now, Big Mac said:

I regret getting into this at this point but you stand to gain nothing beyond what you would if you just waited it out.  I'm done on this topic and I wish you the best of luck. 

All the stocks I sold are still higher than my original purchase price.  They aren't cheap yet.  I sold out half of my stock in 2019 because they got too high.  It is stupid to own stocks that are going to be worth less than their current price.  I have done well in the market being conservative. If you want to take risks and have a bunch of overvalued stocks than you are going to lose money. 

I have an investing book called the Intelligent Investor that says to never buy stocks at over 15 P/E even currently they are at 24 P/E. With ultra low interest rates you could justify maybe a 20 P/E but the market is overpriced even without the Coronavirus and even with the crash. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

All the stocks I sold are still higher than my original purchase price.  They aren't cheap yet.  I sold out half of my stock in 2019 because they got too high.  It is stupid to own stocks that are going to be worth less than their current price.  I have done well in the market being conservative. If you want to take risks and have a bunch of overvalued stocks than you are going to lose money. 

I have an investing book called the Intelligent Investor that says to never buy stocks at over 15 P/E even currently they are at 24 P/E. With ultra low interest rates you could justify maybe a 20 P/E but the market is overpriced even without the Coronavirus and even with the crash. 

Why did you choose to miss the 20% run up to mid-February 2020?  You seem to have a good handle when the market is going to peak and when to buy back in, I don’t understand why you sold off in 2019 as the market was going up into 2020.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

At the current point in time.

The FLU is more deadly than CORNAVIRUS is.

With that said, the elderly, the young, and those with health risks are the most susceptible to this.

We should be aware of this situation, and monitor it, but the mass hype and hysteria are way out there.

There is a run on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, gloves and wipes. Prices have sky rocketed and people are jumping in to make their money.

I think those that run events that cater to the public, need to keep an eye on things and start having a contingency plan in place, that is prudent.

Actually young have not have many or any severe cases. Mostly young children

seem to be immune.Not as much young adults.But without testing here we shall see.Flu has hit the young hard this year But hit everyone. Tens of thousands. But only about 42% of adults get the flu shot.

Good luck to everyone  My mom is almost 90 and has a cough and sniffles and wanted to be tested.Was told no because no fever and no travel..Don't have enough tests .Don't find that comforting. As of the end of last week ,US has tested the least out of the major countries per million.We need to get this fixed and quickly. Talk is cheap.

38 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

seem to be immune.Not as much young adults.But without testing here we shall see.Flu has hit the young hard this year But hit everyone. Tens of thousands. But only about 42% of adults get the flu shot.

Good luck to everyone  My mom is almost 90 and has a cough and sniffles and wanted to be tested.Was told no because no fever and no travel..Don't have enough tests .Don't find that comforting. As of the end of last week ,US has tested the least out of the major countries per million.We need to get this fixed and quickly. Talk is cheap.

The last part is inexcusable.

Hope your mom just has a cold and recovers quickly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, weams said:

If games are cancelled or played with no crowds, that is revenue not coming in.  Can MLB afford that?  I'm sure the sponsors wouldn't be too happy.

btw .  I hit the millennium with 1000 posts.  Look out world, I am now a PLUS member.

tumblr_n6r8b62sjc1tbhzz6o1_400.gif?w=300

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

My mom is 85 and she had a bad cough last week into Saturday.  She had no fever and it went away yesterday.  Hopefully your mom doesn't have anything serious either.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Why did you choose to miss the 20% run up to mid-February 2020?  You seem to have a good handle when the market is going to peak and when to buy back in, I don’t understand why you sold off in 2019 as the market was going up into 2020.

What? I had still 55 percent in stocks. I sold PG , SBUX, and TGT last year as their prices got too high for me.  And I also sold KHC at a loss.   I didn't see anything worth buying. I wasn't timing the market last year. I just didn't see anything worth buying.  When I say I was timing the market, I saw 3 weeks ago where this was headed. I did the math. Started selling stuff off.   I try to good stocks when they are at 52 week lows for no real reason.  Got burnt on KHC though.