MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, but aren't they all?

No.  When everyone was freaking out about Ebola I said it was nothing to worry about.  Do you think all major sports leagues being shut down.  We have most businesses in MD shutdown.  Schools shutdown.  The governor turning the convention center into a hospital.  You can't fly to Europe.    Do any of these seem like an 11 or do these seem like normal occurrences to you?

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

For him, they certainly are... looking at data recently, the cases in New York - the new epicenter - have dropped drammatically.

Yesterday, there were 20,875 cases, up 5,085 from the previous day.  That is a 32% increase.  This morning, there was an increase of 2,355 cases, bringing NY's total to 23,230.  That is only an 11% increase.  Now of course I don't want any new cases, but since atomic likes to be realistic, the realistic thing is that there will never be 100% eradication of any virus.  Treatments are being found and are working - I believe we are approaching the peak and will see a drastic slide in cases as we enter April.

You know for someone who has been wrong about this every step of the way maybe you should step back and stop commenting on it.  

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

You know for someone who has been wrong about this every step of the way maybe you should step back and stop commenting on it.  

Maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself.

How exactly are the numbers wrong?  Explain it to me o wise one.

1 minute ago, orioles119 said:

Maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself.

Let's shake down the unsolicited advice and attempts to provoke others. That goes for everyone here. Have your opinions on life and politics. Keep them to yourself unless you are a scientist or acclaimed medical professional. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

For him, they certainly are... looking at data recently, the cases in New York - the new epicenter - have dropped drammatically.

Yesterday, there were 20,875 cases, up 5,085 from the previous day.  That is a 32% increase.  This morning, there was an increase of 2,355 cases, bringing NY's total to 23,230.  That is only an 11% increase.  Now of course I don't want any new cases, but since atomic likes to be realistic, the realistic thing is that there will never be 100% eradication of any virus.  Treatments are being found and are working - I believe we are approaching the peak and will see a drastic slide in cases as we enter April.

Hmmm, I would track NY for another week before I’d jump to that conclusion. There were 7102 reported cases at one point on Friday.  When I checked Monday morning there were 16916.  Now this morning there are 23230.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Hmmm, I would track NY for another week before I’d jump to that conclusion. There were 7102 reported cases at one point on Friday.  When I checked Monday morning there were 16916.  Now this morning there are 23230.

Additionally, one would hope that at some point the social distancing would start leading to fewer and fewer cases. That's the point after all.

NY Governor says 14 to 21 days to peak which is bad that it is coming so quickly.   Says they have 10,000 ventilators. Need 40,000 ventilators.  He says needs them in 14 days.  They have no where to get them.   Says federal government has 20,000 ventilators in stockpile but won't release them. Won't use Defense Powers act to get companies to get company to build them.  

20 minutes ago, makoman said:

Additionally, one would hope that at some point the social distancing would start leading to fewer and fewer cases. That's the point after all.

I hope so.  Not going to get full cooperation, but the closing of schools and large crowds helps.  Easy for me to say because these closures hasn’t impacted my income.

One thing I worry about is NYers, seeing the tsunami coming, have relocated but are carrying the virus with dormant symptoms.

Outside NY/NJ the biggest jumps from Friday to Monday include Michigan, Arizona, and Tennessee.

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

NY Governor says 14 to 21 days to peak which is bad that it is coming so quickly.   Says they have 10,000 ventilators. Need 40,000 ventilators.  He says needs them in 14 days.  They have no where to get them.   Says federal government has 20,000 ventilators in stockpile but won't release them. Won't use Defense Powers act to get companies to get company to build them.  

What’s preventing companies to do this on their own besides money?  Musk has said it would be simple to repurpose his lines to create them.  Is there a regulation component that comes into play with the DPA?

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

What’s preventing companies to do this on their own besides money?  Musk has said it would be simple to repurpose his lines to create them.  Is there a regulation component that comes into play with the DPA?

Musk says A LOT, about whatever is topical. 

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He says that the Defense Powers Act allows federal government to require them to do this immediately at any cost.  And federal dollars can be used to provide them capital to get equipment and hire employees.  He said talking about doing something isn't the same as actually doing it.   

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Musk says A LOT, about whatever is topical. 

Yeah remember his submarine.  But he did buy 1000 ventilators from China and gave them to hospitals.  If he can buy them from China why can't the Feds buy them from China?  We should be asking China to send us ventilators and doctors and nurses.  They have gotten their situation under control and have expertise.  I am not sure how making enemies out of every other country in the world is productive. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

He says that the Defense Powers Act allows federal government to require them to do this immediately at any cost.  And federal dollars can be used to provide them capital to get equipment and hire employees.  He said talking about doing something isn't the same as actually doing it.   

He being Cuomo here?

2 hours ago, orioles119 said:

The day is still young. Now 25,665, a 4,790 increase, or 23% from 20,875 yesterday. I'm not sure how often it's updated per day so it's hard to give % increase per day. MD is easy as it's updated just once at 10AM.

(that's using the worldometer one, the JHU site is still 23,230. shrug.)