MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

To the first quote above about deaths plateauing in many states:  There were less deaths from yesterday to today than Monday to Tuesday for only two states in the top 20 reported cases.  This concept of deaths plateauing is a little premature, IMO, when there have been 14k+ deaths this past week.

*All figures from JHU.

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Yep, ignore China, Italy, Spain, etc., etc., etc. Continue your egocentric journey.

China welded people into their homes and destroyed roads so people couldn't leave quarantined cities.   I think the only first world country that had less reaction than us is Sweden.  

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

China welded people into their homes and destroyed roads so people couldn't leave quarantined cities.   I think the only first world country that had less reaction than us is Sweden.  

So, are you saying that we should be forced to stay inside our homes? 

Au contraire.

6 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

So, are you saying that we should be forced to stay inside our homes? 

I don't know about forced but from what I've seen and heard folks in Florida are back out shopping in force.  Between the stimulus checks hitting accounts and the better than expected news about the spread of the virus folks are just out there, and bringing the whole family along with them.  I'm not sure what can be done about it but at this point I'm expecting this behavior to result in an uptick in cases down here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know about forced but from what I've seen and heard folks in Florida are back out shopping in force.  Between the stimulus checks hitting accounts and the better than expected news about the spread of the virus folks are just out there, and bringing the whole family along with them.  I'm not sure what can be done about it but at this point I'm expecting this behavior to result in an uptick in cases down here.

We shall see.Maybe herd immunity or some of them can get run over by a herd. I know in many states they closed small businesses. But Walmart and Target have many people in there following no social distancing. The Walmarts are the ones who put many small businesses out of business to begin with.Not sure why a small business with a few people in the store can't open if Walmart can have hundred or more.

Let's see next week on the death counts.Deaths usually lag behind cases.NY hospitalizations are down this week.See if it is flattening slowly or just level.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And since the median age in Florida is 103 it might get ugly, and fast.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s pure guesswork as to when, where and under what exact conditions baseball will return.    I know this:   I’ll be very happy when it’s back, in any form.    I could really use the distraction.    

Unfortunately I think it wont be back until the distraction is no longer needed.  At least if it comes back responsibly.

I truly believe we'll not see major sports events again (with or without fans) until there is a proven vaccine for the virus.  Scientists are saying that could be early 2021.  I miss sports terribly.  I didn't realize just how much of my life revolved around sports until the past month or so.  I hate this virus.  I really do!

12 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I truly believe we'll not see major sports events again (with or without fans) until there is a proven vaccine for the virus.  Scientists are saying that could be early 2021.  I miss sports terribly.  I didn't realize just how much of my life revolved around sports until the past month or so.  I hate this virus.  I really do!

I don't see the NFL shutting down their entire season.  That doesn't seem like something they would do.

Whomever that posted fake news about Cuomo saying that the NY would open in May.  Cuomo just extended shut-down until May 15th and said they would re-evaluate when they get closer to that date.

As for the people who keep saying that schools would open later than sports.  Here is the opening schedule in Switzerland. 

Berset said the first phase of the epidemic "is behind" Switzerland and the next steps will happen in three phases. First, on April 27, hospitals, health centers, dentists, physiotherapy and massage salons can receive non-urgent treatments again. Hairdressers, beauty and tattoo shops and gardening shops will also reopen.

On May 11, the government plans to allow schools to reopen for "mandatory grades," which includes pre-school through ninth grade. Shops and markets will also be allowed to reopen.

Professional schools and universities will be allowed to reopen on June 8, as well as museums, libraries, botanic gardens, and zoos.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the NFL shutting down their entire season.  That doesn't seem like something they would do.

LOL.  They don't live in a Vacuum. NFL is already planning for there to be a shortened season.  

33 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Unfortunately it could be longer than that. From the Athletic article I posted earlier:

Vaccines are not the perfect remedy, however.

It could take 12 to 18 months before a vaccine is discovered and approved, then several months more — depending on the process required — before the vaccine can be produced at a large enough scale to cover the country.

There’s also this:

“Just because you have a vaccine, not everybody responds to it 100 percent, and not everybody will gain protection from it,” Chang said.

This coronavirus is far more serious than the flu, doctors said, but the common flu provides a useful analogy for the challenges of a virus.

The flu virus was discovered many years ago, but the process for making each year’s vaccine begins in January or February, or about eight months before the vaccines are ready to be distributed. If the coronavirus process is similar, it could be two years from now (18 months for approval, six to eight months to generate) before it’s available.