Orioles Feat You've Never Seen

ShaneDawg85

Thought this might be a fun and interesting one.  What is a feat or accomplishment you've never seen the Orioles accomplish, be it as a team or an individual player, that you'd want to witness.  I'm adding the handicap now, not including winning the pennant or the World Series, I'd hope we all want that!  Here's a couple of mine:

1. No-Hitter or Perfect Game.  I was too young remember the tandem no-hitter against Oakland in 1990.  I was in the stands for Mussina's near perfect game against Cleveland in '97.

2. 100 team win season.  They've come close a couple of times in my lifetime.

3. Batting title winner.  Frank is still the only one to do it.

4. Pitching Accomplishments: Cy Young, Strikeout Leader, 20-Game Winner, etc.

For a long time it was see someone hit for the cycle, because it took a long time to get from Cal to Aubrey Huff.

10 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Thought this might be a fun and interesting one.  What is a feat or accomplishment you've never seen the Orioles accomplish, be it as a team or an individual player, that you'd want to witness.  I'm adding the handicap now, not including winning the pennant or the World Series, I'd hope we all want that!  Here's a couple of mine:

1. No-Hitter or Perfect Game.  I was too young remember the tandem no-hitter against Oakland in 1990.  I was in the stands for Mussina's near perfect game against Cleveland in '97.

2. 100 team win season.  They've come close a couple of times in my lifetime.

3. Batting title winner.  Frank is still the only one to do it.

4. Pitching Accomplishments: Cy Young, Strikeout Leader, 20-Game Winner, etc.

For a long time it was see someone hit for the cycle, because it took a long time to get from Cal to Aubrey Huff.

When I read something like this it makes me realize how lucky I am to have witnessed the things I have in my life time. I'm telling my age but I've seen many great accomplishments by the Orioles through the years. I saw Frank Robinson win the triple crown. I saw no-hitters by Tom Phoebus and Jim Palmer. I saw the team win 108 games one year and 109 games one year. I saw an Oriole pitcher win the Cy Young award six times in a 12 year span. I've seen some of the greatest fielders in the history of the game in Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger, and Jim Palmer. I've seen six rookies of the year and five American League MVP's and the list goes on and on. I guess the only thing I haven't seen is a perfect game.

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

4 dingers in a game.  

@ShaneDawg85, the Orioles have had plenty of no-hitters in your lifetime.  Just been on the wrong side of them.

Well in that case, I guess I remember when Josh Hamilton hit 4 homers against us, too.

I was there when Albert Belle hit 3 against the Angels and in his 4th at bat got hit. He argued that the ball hit his bat not him. Everyone in attendance knew if he got pitched to it was gonna be a homer run.

23 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention I saw four 20 game winners the SAME season!

Man, that must've been a sight to see! I'm closer to the OP far as thing I've never seen an Oriole accomplish. Us late 80's babies had it rough! Haha

14 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

A no-hitter from a single pitcher. I remember the combined no-hitter at Oakland in 1991, but that wasn’t even close to being the same. Mussina’s best O’s starts were far more impressive. 

An Orioles Cy Young winner too, I’m too young to remember Steve Stone’s 1980 season. 

I just barely remember Stone, I was nine.  But I definitely remember '84, listening to the radio when they announced the Cy Young and being dumbfounded that Mike Boddicker didn't win.  He was the only guy in the league to win 20 and he led the league in ERA.  In that era it should have been a slam-dunk, but the voters had lost their minds and decided that relievers were more valuable than starters.  Willie Hernandez had an excellent year, as did Quiz, but Boddicker pitched almost twice as many innings.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

One of many things I haven't seen is a batting title.  The only modern Oriole to win one was Frank, five years before I was born and with the 3rd-lowest mark in league history.  In my lifetime I want to see an Oriole hit .400.

That seems likely.

Mora led the league in OBP in 2004.  That should count.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mora led the league in OBP in 2004.  That should count.

It should, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I grew up staring at the Baseball Encyclopedia page with "1897, Keeler, .432".  You don't need no homers or walks or whatever when you hit 200 singles in a 130-game schedule.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

One of many things I haven't seen is a batting title.  The only modern Oriole to win one was Frank, five years before I was born and with the 3rd-lowest mark in league history.  In my lifetime I want to see an Oriole hit .400.

That seems likely.

I'm sure someone has done it in Spring Training. ?

The only one I have not seen is the no hitter, perfect game...

I was in the Safety Patrol in school at the time and every year the Orioles would have Safety Patrol day with free admission...however, on this particular Safety Patrol day, it was also my Opening Day of Little League, so I stayed home.   My friend next door, also in Safety Patrol, had NEVER been to (and never attended another) MLB game.....sure enough, Tom Phoebus pitched a no hitter that day.    50 plus years of attending and watching, no for me....but my friend’s only game ever, he gets a no hitter. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That seems likely.

OPS of .400 probably. 

21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

4 dingers in a game.  

@ShaneDawg85, the Orioles have had plenty of no-hitters in your lifetime.  Just been on the wrong side of them.

Well in that case, I guess I remember when Josh Hamilton hit 4 homers against us, too.

I was at Wilson Alveraz no hitter against us, last game I saw at memorial stadium.   The whole crowd was cheering for Alvarez to do it by the 8th and 9th innings. 

• Upvote 1