I miss baseball.

HowAboutThat

It might be possible to turn, “I miss baseball” into an epic poem, but I know my limits…

Do you remember the comment I made last year at the start of baseball season? About the memories of summer and being with my father? I feel like all of that is on hold.

All of life is on hold, in a way. The calendar still goes through the days, but everything we live for throughout the year is waiting. And the spring, the resurrection, Easter, wearing white again. Looking forward to the end of the school year, and the rites of passage as you watch your students or children graduate and move on. It’s all on hold. It’s like the calendar is moving on but leaving us behind.

I miss baseball. I miss the life we lead. I miss baseball.

No need to write a lot, “I miss baseball” says it all.

• Upvote 2

“I Miss Baseball”

The sound of the ball whizzing through the air before the THWACK of the bat interrupts its flight

The crackle of sunflower seed shells being crunched, the snap of the gum being popped, the rustling of cleats on infield dirt

These are the sounds of baseball, from the young toddler, barely able to hold their bat but hitting dingers off their Dad, to the grizzled veteran, having played the game for decades

The game is still the same, no matter the age or the location, from generation to generation

Fans flock and gather, yell and cheer, with each fan having their own method and favorite, from Mighty Casey to Tom Patton

Whether in person, in the television from the comfort of your couch, or the classic radio broadcasts while on your front porch, the sound of summer fills the air from April to October

Each game has the chance to show something that has never happened before, a chance at history after every First Pitch

From Vin Scully to Fred Manfra, the Golden Voices could turn a seeing eye single into a walk off grand slam, catapulting you into their world with their words

The game has an impact as far reaching as any cosmic entity, from the unbridled joy of having a catch with your father to the majestic awe of seeing your hero in person

No matter what happens throughout time, baseball always has been and always will be, America’s Pastime, brining everyone together

It happened after 9/11 when Mike Piazza circled the bases and it will happen again before you know it

No one knows who the hero will be, but that day draws closer as everyone braves this extreme, but one thing is certain

I miss baseball 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Be safe and hopefully soon we can see baseball and other normal things.Some people will miss the opportunity to go to a baseball  game or other things with their friends and family.

Like The Masters. I've got Augusta National on the computer for Links. Pretty damn good Augusta too! Played that a couple times the last few days.

• Like 1

Actually, no, I think this year was going to be very surprising. 

Wojo.  There is every indication that he was going to blossom, late, but better late than never, into a 20 game winner. Leblanc is going to give us the benefit of the dead cat bounce, and win 17 or 18 games, before turning into a pumpkin again in October.

Means is going to be justified by the ends.

On defense, the guys are going to remember where they left their gloves, and errors will be as rare as the smiles on the opposition faces, as they go down one by one, 27 times a day. And on offense, Davis is going to Decide that sitting on the couch watching television is less appealing than hitting homeruns, so we’re going to get to see a lot of that.

Yes, I do think this is going to be the year we surprise everyone.

Buuuut Too late now…