Undrafted Free Agent SIgnings?

Philip

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2019/03/08/ull-baseball-young-throws-crazy-good-cajuns-win-vs-lmu/3107768002/

“Coming off of a lingering shoulder injury that limited him to 21.2 innings at the juco last year as opposed to 64.1 as a starter when he was a 2017 All-American, the righty was throwing around 88 mph against Texas.

“In junior college I threw harder,” he said. “But now someone said I was 90-(to)-93, up there, and that’s good. … But velocity is not really what I’m worried about right now.“

Would be interesting to see velocity in rookie ball this year. 

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/ul_lafayette/article_a28ef3fa-5b4d-11ea-94fc-03aa62e8f1c3.html

“He had a three-pitch mix, four pitches at times, pounding the zone, great tempo and attack,” Deggs said of Young’s performance.

“He’s got great attack, great tempo and he’s got really good stuff. He held 91-93 (miles per hour) pretty much all day with three other pitches with a changeup being the key. When you can flash a change, you knock guys off the fastball and that’s what he did. Then he was able to pound guys inside.”

In 113 pitches, Young only walked one and struck out 11, despite not having full control of his fastball.

“Fastball late in the game was a little bit off,” Young said. “I kind of lost it. I was kind of throwing it up, but all my off-speed pitches, I was throwing for strikes.”

The first obstacle was accepting that “stopper” role without the pressure that goes along with it.

18 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2020/06/09/ul-baseball-cajun-pitcher-brandon-young-doesnt-slow-before-mlb-draft/5321131002/

“Because the season was so short, the NCAA has granted and all spring sport athletes an extra season of eligibility.

So he has some leverage when it comes to draft negotiations and terms of any potential signing bonus offer, and could return to UL for another season if things do not go his way in the draft.”

That was if he was drafted he could have some leverage to say I want more money or I will go back to school.  Obviously he didnt want to go back to school because he took the $20k

I can't find any film on Young, except some shaky shots in this link https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sports/complete-game-shutout-pushes-cajuns-past-shsu-1-0

Looks like a big imposing figure on the mound.  Made big strides over the past few years between JUCO ball, battling an injury, and the shortened 2020 season.  Could be a steal if he can continue to add strength to that big body.  Might be moved to the bullpen in an effort to max out his velo?

On 6/12/2020 at 1:57 PM, UpstateNYfan said:

So, rounds 37-40. I'm not talking about those guys. Rounds 6-36....31 rounds, 900 plus players. Right now, the 151st best college or HS players can't be signed for more that 10 or 20K. You don't think that is a rough reality for the dream?? Hours of workouts, $$$$$$ spent, travel, etc. 

No one is forcing them to do it.

How different is it from other folks in the entertainment field? 

On 6/12/2020 at 1:57 PM, UpstateNYfan said:

So, rounds 37-40. I'm not talking about those guys. Rounds 6-36....31 rounds, 900 plus players. Right now, the 151st best college or HS players can't be signed for more that 10 or 20K. You don't think that is a rough reality for the dream?? Hours of workouts, $$$$$$ spent, travel, etc. 

This isn't true.  Rounds 6-10 are rounds that most often include guys signed to small bonuses, not just rounds 37-40.  That is what enables teams to sign over-slot guys.  The slot numbers for only the first 10 rounds are added up to get teams' total bonus pools.  Teams need to have under-slot guys in the first 10 rounds in order to have the money to sign over-slot guys.  That's why we see college seniors sign for amounts like $5K in rounds 6-10 most years.  Possibly even round 5 sometimes.  I'd say that some of these guys will actually sign for a little more this year than they would have in other years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

This isn't true.  Rounds 6-10 are rounds that most often include guys signed to small bonuses, not just rounds 37-40.  That is what enables teams to sign over-slot guys.  The slot numbers for only the first 10 rounds are added up to get teams' total bonus pools.  Teams need to have under-slot guys in the first 10 rounds in order to have the money to sign over-slot guys.  That's why we see college seniors sign for amounts like $5K in rounds 6-10 most years.  Possibly even round 5 sometimes.  I'd say that some of these guys will actually sign for a little more this year than they would have in other years.

Agree with most of this.  In prior years, guys drafted after round 10 could be signed for $100k or a similar number without counting against the draft pool.  It was amounts in excess of that number that counted against the pool.  That is why many prospects received more $ because they were drafted after round 10 than those guys draft before round 11.

Also, remember there will be attrition to the minor leagues with franchises losing one minor league team.  I am not expecting the Os to sign as many prospects in total as they did last year.  In fact, it would not surprise me if we signed half the number of prospects as in prior years.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Agree with most of this.  In prior years, guys drafted after round 10 could be signed for $100k or a similar number without counting against the draft pool.  It was amounts in excess of that number that counted against the pool.  That is why many prospects received more $ because they were drafted after round 10 than those guys draft before round 11.

Also, remember there will be attrition to the minor leagues with franchises losing one minor league team.  I am not expecting the Os to sign as many prospects in total as they did last year.  In fact, it would not surprise me if we signed half the number of prospects as in prior years.   

Exactly.  I was responding to the poster's comment that only guys drafted in rounds 37-40 most years receive low bonuses, which is quite obviously wrong.

One thing to note is that a lot of guys that would have been drafted in rounds 6-10 in other years actually have a bit more leverage this year, in that they are on the open market and stand a better chance of receiving a $20K bonus than they would have in past years being drafted.  That's why I posted that it wouldn't surprise me if some of these guys actually get a little more than they would have in prior years.  In the past seniors in that situation had little choice but to sign for what was being offered by the team that drafted them.  $20k > $5k.  They couldn't shop the offer with another MLB team to see if they might get $15 or 20k from another MLB team.  I wasn't addressing the number of players being signed at all, though I agree that there will most likely be fewer total signings per team due to both minor league contraction and the fact that there will likely me no minor league seasons due to COVID.

2 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I am sure Luke contributed throughout our draft process, but it is in this area where I think he really shines - identifying overlooked prospects who might have a real shot to contribute.  Combining Luke's expertise with the Os analytics (the analytics that popped Toby Welk out of nowhere) could be a powerful force in finding a couple of real gems that we are on top of that a good portion of the industry is not.  That's my hope, anyway.

Yeah this part seems like his wheelhouse for sure.

So, nobody's signed more than 10 UDFA's (Boston did 10).  Some teams haven't signed any.  Is that because teams are figuring there's not going to be any minor league baseball this season?  Apologies if this subject has already been discussed.  

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So, nobody's signed more than 10 UDFA's (Boston did 10).  Some teams haven't signed any.  Is that because teams are figuring there's not going to be any minor league baseball this season?  Apologies if this subject has already been discussed.  

My uniformed guess is that teams are being judicious about trying to sign guys they’d actually have a spot for. Meanwhile , with $20k max and players having the ability to go back to school, there’s not a ton forcing a mad dash on the good players’ part to sign deals.