Servideo on Crabcakes, Bleach Blonde hair, and more! (UPDATE: Signs for $950K 100k overslot)

Roll Tide

I ordered crab cakes in Columbus Ohio once and I can’t recommend any more highly to never do that. They were about the size of a quarter and we’re pretty inedible.

I had some good crab cakes at Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park in Maine a few times.  

18 hours ago, makoman said:

I grew up 5 min from G&M! Crabs and crab cakes were basically the only food my family splurged on, G&M was the best. Also been to Timbuktu a few times but didn’t know they had good crab cakes. 

To the rest of the thread, I prefer broiled but fried are good on occasion. I like to make them too but won’t win any awards and would never put the mustard in them. I love soft shells too. Hope Mr. Servideo ends up spending a long time in Baltimore and learns a thing or two about this. 

Timbuktu’s are good but they prices have skyrocketed.  The the Olive Grove which is right up the street from G&M.   They are comparable to G&M in size and lump meat but have a little more zing to them.

• Upvote 1

Boarman's Market in Highland often has some good ones in their butcher/seafood section.  Great place, this old fashioned farmers market / grocer with hand painted signs in an area of HoCo that was once all farms but is now full of neighborhoods with million dollar houses.  But Boarman's hasn't changed.

I'll swing by there on a Friday onmy way to Blacksburg for a football weekend and pick up a pound of their fresh made daily breakfast sausage for us to have at our tailgate the next day.  Got a dozen crabcakes there once and we grilled them at our tailgate the next day and they were fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not as much down here.

Yes... probably mostly bad in Florida. Plus they tend to want pimento and other stuff in the south. I was in Georgia for a while and a pretty high profile place with several locations called Ray’s had a pretty good quality cake, but it had chopped pepper in it and served it with a garlic aioli. They had Old Bay in the kitchen so you could request it. But I don’t believe it was in their recipe. If you ever get through Atlanta look them up!

4 minutes ago, Woody Held said:

Timbuktu’s are good but they prices have skyrocketed.  The the Olive Grove which is right up the street from G&M.   They are comparable to G&M in size and lump meat but have a little more zing to them.

I’m pretty sure they are family members as well.

30 minutes ago, Woody Held said:

Dang, I’m surprised how little amount of run Jimmy’s is getting here. What do you consider expensive? My 8oz jumbo lump cake and fries ran me $22.

32 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Dang, I’m surprised how little amount of run Jimmy’s is getting here. What do you consider expensive? My 8oz jumbo lump cake and fries ran me $22.

I only eat at Jimmy’s once long ago. I believe it was a crab cake sandwich. It was very good but I thought it was small. 

Living in Westminster the stuff on the west side is way more convenient 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes... probably mostly bad in Florida. Plus they tend to want pimento and other stuff in the south. I was in Georgia for a while and a pretty high profile place with several locations called Ray’s had a pretty good quality cake, but it had chopped pepper in it and served it with a garlic aioli. They had Old Bay in the kitchen so you could request it. But I don’t believe it was in their recipe. If you ever get through Atlanta look them up!

They don't want to pay.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

And you know this how?

I ask because I’m a restaurant guy that was in the process of buying/opening a restaurant in Westminster when the pandemic hit in March. My initial thought was on crabs (AUCE) and full service options for breakfast through dinner. 

I spoke to several distributors and most of the crabs and crabmeat is from Louisiana and Texas. Here Maryland/Virginia product is mixed in during the season. In bulk, the Louisiana stuff is very affordable even for Jumbo Lump. 

FYI, G&M and Timbuktu were owned by the same family for a considerable amount of years. I can’t say that I know if they still are but any change would’ve been in the last couple of years.

Speaking of foreign crab meat, It’s Phillips that uses crab meat from a cove they created in Indonesia. They transported Blue Crab from here to there and it’s essentially farm raised, fed fish local to that area, and tastes off IMO.

@CarrRun49 You can almost always get Backfin at Giant for around $12. It’s from South America, Peru as I recall. Which is much better than making it out of canned Salmon. The thought of that makes me want to ? 

I think I’d rather not have them

Carroll county guy here, work in Westminster every day.  We could use a few more spots to eat around here, hopefully you will be able to pick back up from where you left off!

Fratellis out in Hampstead has decent crab cakes, not completely traditional, but lump meat and quite tasty. 

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

We have blue crabs here in the intercoastal waterway and the inlets. Maybe it's me or the water but they don't taste the same. They are bland.

Interesting that the crabs in Gulf of Mexico are the same species as the ones in Maryland.   A lot of restaurants advertise Maryland crabs but the Feds did DNA testing on them and they were Asian crabs at most places.  Traced back to a distributor that was selling Asian crabs as Maryland crab meat.  The owner had to go to jail.  Now if they sell you Gulf of Mexico crab meat and call it Maryland crab there really is no way to test to make sure they are telling the truth as they don't have unique DNA between the two places. 

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Interesting that the crabs in Gulf of Mexico are the same species as the ones in Maryland.   A lot of restaurants advertise Maryland crabs but the Feds did DNA testing on them and they were Asian crabs at most places.  Traced back to a distributor that was selling Asian crabs as Maryland crab meat.  The owner had to go to jail.  Now if they sell you Gulf of Mexico crab meat and call it Maryland crab there really is no way to test to make sure they are telling the truth as they don't have unique DNA between the two places. 

These are definitely blue crabs. I have no way of doing dna testing. They just don't taste the same. Could be diet, habitat, or something I am not considering.

1 hour ago, murph said:

Carroll county guy here, work in Westminster every day.  We could use a few more spots to eat around here, hopefully you will be able to pick back up from where you left off!

Fratellis out in Hampstead has decent crab cakes, not completely traditional, but lump meat and quite tasty. 

Yes Fratelli's is very good! Might I suggest the blackened Shrimp and Chicken in cajun creme sauce! it's pretty amazing!

Thanks .... The reason the restaurant options are limited is due to the fact that years ago Westminster sold its excess water to Baltimore county on a long term deal. So you have to either buy or reopen in a spot that was previously a restaurant

And nobody wants to be in the mall and they are the only real spots available.

They are knocking down the Ruby Tuesday building and making a small strip plaza that will include a new chinese place (Gasp) .... And Mission BBQ is wating for a market correction (3-6 months) before opening in the old Friendly's spot.

• Thanks 1