Jorge Lopez for the playoff run

backwardsk

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Somehow I got it in my head that he looks like Jerry Seinfeld and just can't get it out of my head that throwing Seinfeld out there is not a great idea. Combined with his mediocre stats, I don't get what people like about this guy. 

Here is what I see.

In Lopez first 5 starts with the O's he had a 3.98 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and pitched 5.46 Inning per start.  In the 6th start on the next to last day of the season he allowed 8 run in 2 IP.  Why does Hyde leave him in to let 8 runs score when he has several guys in the pen and only one more game to play in the season?   I think the answer is draft position. I have to discount those 8 runs.

I think Lopez begins ST next spring in the rotation.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is what I see.

In Lopez first 5 starts with the O's he had a 3.98 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and pitched 5.46 Inning per start.  In the 6th start on the next to last day of the season he allowed 8 run in 2 IP.  Why does Hyde leave him in to let 8 runs score when he has several guys in the pen and only one more game to play in the season?   I think the answer is draft position. I have to discount those 8 runs.

I think Hyde was trying to see how Lopez would respond competitively and emotionally. At times, Lopez is like a whipped puppy out there in his body language. He’s soft, but the stuff is worth the time to see if you can unlock the competitor within. I am not optimistic, honestly. 

5 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Just listened to the Matt Blood podcast yesterday, and I swear I thought I heard him say of Lopez something like "you don't find 6'5" guys with mid-90's stuff" on the waiver wire.   Curious how tall he looks to folks.  B-Ref lists Chris Tillman 6'5".

He's listed 6'2" everywhere, but was only 18 years, 4 months at the time of the 2011 draft, and I can believe certain official MLB listings being set in stone forever.  Savant has his four seam at 94 even this past year.

He wasn’t talking about Lopez.   He was talking about Grayson Rodriguez.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Here is what I see.

I been sayin for a while that Hyde waits too long to pull his starters. Next year when the roster returns to size, and he has 2-3 fewer relievers, it’s going to be a bigger problem.

Meanwhile, Bob Gibson had 251 complete games. They were MEN in those days...

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is what I see.

I will go with Ockham's razor. Simple explanation is that Lopez is not that good. He had one good season in AA, has not been good since in the minors or majors. Stuff isn't great, control isn't great. Just seems like another replacement level type who is not totally embarrassing but also not good. If he was good, why would two other organizations give up on him? If he is at all decent, why would you not expect him to make it through 2 IP? If you discount his really bad start, than you should probably discount his really good start vs ATL. What you're left with is meh, at best. 

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I will go with Ockham's razor. Simple explanation is that Lopez is not that good. He had one good season in AA, has not been good since in the minors or majors. Stuff isn't great, control isn't great. Just seems like another replacement level type who is not totally embarrassing but also not good. If he was good, why would two other organizations give up on him? If he is at all decent, why would you not expect him to make it through 2 IP? If you discount his really bad start, than you should probably discount his really good start vs ATL. What you're left with is meh, at best. 

The level on expectation should be low for Lopez.  He was a waiver wire pick up.   O's seem to like the quality of his stuff.  Trying to work with him to improve his consistency.  He did pretty well as a starter for the O's before the last start.  Showed enough to get a chance at the rotation going into ST next season.  He is still cheap which helps him fit in in 2021.