No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

They certainly were.  Dehlman led the league in walks in 1875 with 11, and he was in the top 10 4 years - even though his career-high was 11.  And he had 1 fewer career homers than Glenn Gulliver.  Died at age 32 or 33 - not sure if it was over guilt about not playing up to his contract.     

In 1875 the league OPS was a Chris Davis-esque .571, lowest in history.  But they scored 6.14 runs a game, higher than any season since 1900.  This was mainly because the league fielding percentage was a Mark Reynolds-at-third-base-like .849.  Teams averaged almost seven errors a game.

In 2020 teams see eight hits, 3.5 walks, and half an error.  So basically 12 baserunners.

In 1875 it was almost 10 hits, a third of a walk, but something like seven ROE a game.  Over 17 baserunners.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is there a way to look up numbers over 1222 PA streak? I mean, I guy could of had a .580 OPS over 2000 PAs, but never had a block of 1222 PAs where he OPS'd under .600.

I can't figure out how to do that with the bb-ref tools.  Since they moved to Stathead from the Play Index they've dropped some things.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In 1875 the league OPS was a Chris Davis-esque .571, lowest in history.  But they scored 6.14 runs a game, higher than any season since 1900.  This was mainly because the league fielding percentage was a Mark Reynolds-at-third-base-like .849.  Teams averaged almost seven errors a game.

In 2020 teams see eight hits, 3.5 walks, and half an error.  So basically 12 baserunners.

In 1875 it was almost 10 hits, a third of a walk, but something like seven ROE a game.  Over 17 baserunners.

Amazing - I wonder what the fields were like then.  Too bad we can't look at the videos.  Maybe some day we'll find them from a lost satellite some fan made use of in a distant galaxy.  Or not.          

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Amazing - I wonder what the fields were like then.  Too bad we can't look at the videos.  Maybe some day we'll find them from a lost satellite some fan made use of in a distant galaxy.  Or not.          

Something like your local Little League field.  Although that might be demeaning to your local groundskeeper.  The first gas powered lawnmower was circa 1920.  There are stories of 19th century teams hiding extra balls in the tall outfield grass, and I don't think they're too much of an exaggeration.  And there weren't any crews dragging the infield before the 6th inning, I don't think they ever did. 

Somewhere I read a story about a game in maybe the 1920s, a major league game, where someone in the infield heard his spikes hit something under the ground and they dug up an old cooking pot from beneath third base. 

HOF 3B Freddie Lindstrom really doesn't belong there.  He was most famous for two balls hitting a rock and bouncing over his head in the same game of the 1924 World Series.

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

Tony, you are just happy Haney or Vinnie didn't ask you on your segment today, "What about Chris Davis".  LOL.   In a side note the other Khris Davis with the A's is turning into the Orioles Chris Davis.

It was nice to not have a Chris Davis question from Vinnie! :D

Must be the curse of that name! Get paid, play like a chump.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I can't figure out how to do that with the bb-ref tools.  Since they moved to Stathead from the Play Index they've dropped some things.

Yeah, I was trying to figure it out too but it does seem like things are missing.

No leadership on this team to get into Chris Davis' face.  He strikes out like he doesn't care or doesn't have a clue, walks back to the dugout and all is good and nobody says a thing.  I'm talking every game he plays.  Somebody needs to light a fire with this guy because this is ridiculous.  Enough of this handholding poor Chris BS.

Earlier this spring there were threads about Davis putting on 25 LBS of muscle and he looked like his old self in spring training, long HR and being walked by pitchers.  And of course speculation  that he was on PED.  If he was, what happened?  Did he go off of the juice? Is he still more muscular or did he lose those 25 LBS during the long break? 

Just in theory, if a player was on PED then signed a huge contract it would be in his  financial interest to stop taking the PED the minute the ink is dry on that contract. I mean the only way the contact could be voided would be if he tested positive and was suspended. From a financial standpoint after signing,  it would seem much better to fail and be released, rather than take any chance of that contract being voided and losing millions. 

I have no idea what's wrong with Chris Davis but I am wondering if it is ever wise to sign someone to a long term contract these days.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I was trying to figure it out too but it does seem like things are missing.

Your right and I like the old version. One thing that I hate about the new version is it doesn’t show a guys tallied minor league numbers once he plays in the majors. 

The interesting thing is that @Can_of_corn posted a link showing them tallied but when I search I’m not getting that and I’m not sure why it wouldn’t make sense to auto calculate when you press the show minors tab.

9 hours ago, OriolesWay said:

No leadership on this team to get into Chris Davis' face.  He strikes out like he doesn't care or doesn't have a clue, walks back to the dugout and all is good and nobody says a thing.  I'm talking every game he plays.  Somebody needs to light a fire with this guy because this is ridiculous.  Enough of this handholding poor Chris BS.

Welcome to the board....I believe that Davis his still having attention deficit issues. Yes I’m saying whatever he’s taking with clearance is not effective. But his bigger problem is that his reaction time is gone.

All the fire in the world won’t improve the lost reaction time. Which is a long term side effect of the medication he’s used.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Your right and I like the old version. One thing that I hate about the new version is it doesn’t show a guys tallied minor league numbers once he plays in the majors. 

The interesting thing is that @Can_of_corn posted a link showing them tallied but when I search I’m not getting that and I’m not sure why it wouldn’t make sense to auto calculate when you press the show minors tab.

If I remember what you are referring to correctly I just used the minor, fall and winter league tab.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I remember what you are referring to correctly I just used the minor, fall and winter league tab.

Thanks ...doesn’t make sense. Sometimes when I hit that button it shows the years but not the totals. That happened the other day when we were discussing Severino’s minor league at bats.

7 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I have no idea what's wrong with Chris Davis but I am wondering if it is ever wise to sign someone to a long term contract these days.

As long as baseball is a $10B industry with free agency there will be long term contracts.  Teams want to win for both prestige and the added revenues.  Someone will always use their cash to buy more wins.  Some of those contracts will work out, teams like the Yanks and Sox don't just automatically go into the tank when they sign someone to a 10/300 deal, they mostly just keep on winning.