LeBlanc goes out with an elbow injury

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would like someone smarter than me to compare Akin to early-career Bedard to see if there's any comp there whatsoever. I doubt it, because I just don't see the killer breaking ball that Bedard had. BUT. Early on Bedard did have control issues (1.602 WHIP, 4.7 BB9) and his K numbers were 7.9 his first 3 seasons before suddenly hitting nearly 11 in his breakout year. 

But like Bedard, Akin is a guy with strikeout stuff (apparently), a decent fastball for a left-hander, and some nibbly control issues. 

I'm not saying Akin has Bedard-level talent, just that I'd be willing to give Akin plenty of run as a starter.

Well I saw both all through their minor league careers and Bedard was way more dominant consistently. Bedard also got some velocity bump at the major league level and his breaking ball was consistently plus and occasionally plus-plus. Akin can flash a plus slider, curve or even change depending on what day. which is why I think they still want to see what he can do as a starter. It's understandable really, and again, if they want to put him in the rotation right now I'd be fine with that. I'm just saying that I personally think his best role in the major leaguers will be as a reliever.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, Roll Tide said:

If winning were the most important thing you’d be right. It isn’t ....developing our younger guys is the key. Eshelman is a 5th starter/ middle relief type. Akin has higher upside and has been a starter all of his career so far.

How do you develop players in an environment where winning is beside the point?  

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Isn't that the minor leagues? Don't we hear every year about minor league pitchers that are limited in how they use their best pitches in hope that they can develop their other ones?

53 minutes ago, makoman said:

Isn't that the minor leagues? Don't we hear every year about minor league pitchers that are limited in how they use their best pitches in hope that they can develop their other ones?

58 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Isn't what is going on in Bowie the clearest example of developing player in an environment where winning isn't the point?

Aren't team trying to move toward that model?

55 minutes ago, makoman said:

Yes, that is a great use of the minor leagues.  I draw the line at using the majors for player development beyond a very easily reached threshold.  Sometimes I think that we all get way, way too cute with long term strategy at the expense of the effort everyone has the right to expect from teams at the major league level.  That being said, my post wasn't clear.  

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Good question and I might know if the games the Orioles were playing in at this point actually mattered to them. We might sneak into the playoffs but arent winning it all in a 16 team playoff format.

The Orioles best option is to sell on guys like Givens, Cobb, Milone (if possible). Place the people in the rotation that have the most potential long term that you deem ready. For me Akin is the better shot (although Tiny doesnt think so).

If you move Cobb and Milone they could put Akin, Kremer, and Eshelman into the rotation. If you move Cobb it up to you to chose 2 out of the three. In this list Eshelman is my 3rd guy on that list even though he gives them the best shot to be competitive now.