A race to the bottom?

wildcard

38 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

Somehow your avatar makes this statement more impactful ?

I'd prefer to see the O's win.  No fun "hoping" they lose to get a better draft pick. Besides we don't know how the draft positioning will work.  Will they win is another story -- Braves and Rays are two of the best teams.

Having draft position determine by a combination of 2019 and 2020 will benefit the Tigers, Orioles, Marlins and KC.   Have it determine by the 2020 standing will benefit the Red Sox and the Nats.   How do you think the Commissioner  will rules?

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Having draft position determine by a combination of 2019 and 2020 will benefit the Tigers, Orioles, Marlins and KC.   Have it determine by the 2020 standing will benefit the Red Sox and the Nats.   How do you think the Commissioner  will rules?

I see where you're getting at.  However, I do think the commissioner will weight the 2019 season.  MLB claims that draft and waiver rules (both record associated, and by extension, financial wherewithal associated) are means by which small market teams can reasonably compete.  But we shall see.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The key is to play guys that have a chance to be part of the future as much as possible to give them experience down the stretch. That should be their only goal.

Agree totally, but the problem is that they aren’t. It took an act of God to bring up Mountcastle, and Akin came up, sat, went down again, came up, sat, and FINALLY, got a start, and land’a’Goshin’ he was good!

And then Kremer... with three weeks left in the season. Where’s everyone else? Where’s anyone else?

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Agree totally, but the problem is that they aren’t. It took an act of God to bring up Mountcastle, and Akin came up, sat, went down again, came up, sat, and FINALLY, got a start, and land’a’Goshin’ he was good!

And then Kremer... with three weeks left in the season. Where’s everyone else? Where’s anyone else?

Clearly Elias has a different opinion.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I have zero problem with how this has been handled.    Who exactly would you like to see brought up, and whose playing time would you take away to see them?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have zero problem with how this has been handled.    Who exactly would you like to see brought up, and whose playing time would you take away to see them?

If I listed the guys whose time I’d be willing to trade to see some prospects, I’d never stop. As far as who, I wanted the pitching to come up sooner, and MC as well. Why wait so long for no purpose? Mountcastle has certainly shown he can hit major league pitching. Lowther and Baumann are down, but I’d like to see Zimmermann, and Bannon and McKenna should see some time.

Edited by Philip

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

If I listed the guys whose time I’d be willing to trade to see some prospects, I’d never stop. As far as who, I wanted the pitching to come up sooner, and MC as well. Why wait so long for no purpose? Mountcastle has certainly shown he can hit major league pitching. Lowther and Baumann are down, but I’d like to see Zimmermann, and Bannon and McKenna should see some time.

It would not be fun to see them come up  and fail if they are not ready.   That must be Elias and his staffs assessment at the moment.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It would not be fun to see them come up  and fail if they are not ready.   That must be Elias and his staffs assessment at the moment.

Well, Akin, Kremer and MC Did not come up and fail, they were clearly ready and they clearly did well. Even if they don’t do as well as we hoped at the start, Do you think they would be permanently damaged by the experience? Or would they be overjoyed even if they don’t do as well as they hope? Finally, can they possibly be worse than the guys they replace?
It is moot by now of course, seasons almost over, but I wish they’d called up certainly these three guys a couple of weeks sooner.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nope.   Happy to have them cheap the next couple years.

I don’t recall what the service time schedule was with Aikin, but he came up and sat and did not play, then went down again and then came up and still didn’t play, and finally got a start. So service time wasn’t an issue with him. I don't know about Kremer, but of course we all know that Mountcastle was finished with service time issue about 10 days in the season but he still stayed down for a long time because, I don’t know, they liked Smith better?

So, god love you, brother, but I don’t  think service time is the issue here.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t recall what the service time schedule was with Aikin, but he came up and sat and did not play, then went down again and then came up and still didn’t play, and finally got a start. So service time wasn’t an issue with him. I don't know about Kremer, but of course we all know that Mountcastle was finished with service time issue about 10 days in the season but he still stayed down for a long time because, I don’t know, they liked Smith better?

So, god love you, brother, but I don’t  think service time is the issue here.

There’s two different service time issues: eligibility for free agency after 6 full seasons and eligibility for super-two status after 2+ years of service.  10 days (the way it works in this 60-game season) gets you past the free agency issue.   Super-two is a moving target that usually falls about two months into the season, and nobody knows exactly where it will fall this year.    So if the O’s played it safe, fine with me.   These guys are getting enough major league experience this year that they can hit the ground running in their first full season next year.   That works for me.