#12 2020 Prospect: Yusniel Diaz - RF

Tony-OH

FV dropped from 50 to 45 and ceiling dropped from 55 to 50.   That feels a little harsh to me.   But based on the write-up, it seems Tony heard some things about Diaz’s camp that were a bit more negative than what has been stated publicly.   

I think Diaz is a guy who could exceed his projection if things go right for him.

I think he will be fine...if he stays healthy and gets consistent at bats.

Thats a real problem if you are a young developing player.  If you keep missing games all the time and can’t get consistent time, it stunts your development.  He needs that.  If he is able to do it, I think he’s fine and is a starting COer for us.  But if he can’t, he will be a 4th OFer type guy(at best), like Tony is suggesting. 

I think the bright lights thing has some merit and wonder if he's--perhaps--the top prospect on the team most hindered by the loss of the 2020 minor league season. I'm still stubbornly optimistic he can develop into a solid regular (which was really all I expected from the get-go).

I think if he can develop into a solid everyday RF (with some versatility to move around) that could slide in around the 7-hole in the order, that would be a solid option. I'm still hopeful that between Diaz, Hays, Mullins, Santander...and eventually Kjerstad, it's enough to push Mountcastle to 1B/DH. Add in Rutschman and the team is pretty set offensively save for 2B, SS, 3B which I'm also hopeful at least one of Vavra, Hall, Bannon, etc. can develop into an average option....but that--of course--is a whole different topic.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he will be fine...if he stays healthy and gets consistent at bats.

Thats a real problem if you are a young developing player.  If you keep missing games all the time and can’t get consistent time, it stunts your development.  He needs that.  If he is able to do it, I think he’s fine and is a starting COer for us.  But if he can’t, he will be a 4th OFer type guy(at best), like Tony is suggesting. 

Tony thought the same for Little Yaz, 4th OFer at best, if that.

This is not a knock on Tony.

But, its hard to really tell how these guys will mature and develope.

41 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I don't think the Giants thought they were getting anything more than a 4th outfielder who could fill in for a while when they claimed Yaz. Seriously, I don't think even his mom saw this coming

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I don't think the Giants thought they were getting anything more than a 4th outfielder who could fill in for a while when they claimed Yaz. Seriously, I don't think even his mom saw this coming

I am not a scout, and I dont even try to be one, but dang it, watching Yaz run around Bowie, he looked so natural and hustled more than anybody on the field. It wasnt like a diva or cocky, he was just a guy that was taught well at how to play the game.

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/mike-yastrzemski-shares-journey-from-uncoachable-to-star

His experience in the Baltimore Orioles' farm system only made matters worse for Yastrzemski, as the team's hitting philosophy did not align with the young, burgeoning prospect's way of doing things.

"When I was with the Orioles, I was... labeled as a guy who needed to swing A-to-B and have this kind of small, contact swing, and so I started just believing in it because that's what I thought was best," Yastrzemski said. "Make the organization happy, do what they say and you'll be going up, and (it) just never worked out that way.

"When I got to the Giants, the first thing that the hitting coordinator said to me was, he said he loved my swing and that he thinks I can do a lot of damage. And I was like, man, I haven't had someone tell me they love my swing since I was in college. That's awesome. And having that confidence and having him say something like that was so freeing that I was able to trust what I had been working on for the past four years on my own, that the Orioles told me I shouldn't be doing."

In fact, Yastrzemski shared that he was seen as "uncoachable," as the coaches would steer him away from trying out new techniques and instead stress that he should "work on what works."

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

In my defense, Elias gave him up for nothing and he had way more information on him than me. Elias choose Dwight Smith Jr. over him. 

2 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Not to get off-topic, but that's what they did to Arrieta.  IIRC, they were obsessed with correcting the fact that he threw a little bit across his body, which is what made him a star in college.  

He got to the Cubs and they got him back to what worked for him immediately and then made adjustments from there.