Milone Trade Complete

weams

9 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Cullen had 25 Hit-By-Pitches in 568 Plate Appearances in his most recent season (2019) ........ that sounds pretty high.

He also had 71 Walks in those 568 Plate Appearances ........ that combination wound up propelling his OBP (.393) significantly higher than his already very respectable .270 Batting Average.

o

You can’t hit your way into a scrappy gamer rep.

• Upvote 1

Just now, hoosiers said:

Getting a top 25 prospect for 3 awful starts of Tommy Milone is a nice return IMO.  

Maybe our FO really liked these guys .... not complaining, but would rather have a couple international prospects or "lottery tickets" as folks here like to say.

Might be an issue of limited slots for those guys in the low minors.  At some point you need to find places for them to play.

Cullen kinda reminds me of a left-handed hitting second base Toby Welk. An overachieving hit-first guy.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/8/14/20800461/atlanta-braves-time-to-pay-attention-to-milb-prospect-greg-cullen

Graffanino doesn't appear to be any kind of prospect based off his lack of power and speed but could have some utility value if his defense at SS is as good as reported.

• Upvote 1

For me the headline here is that Elias continues to stock the system with middle infielders.   Here’s the MI in our 2018 OH top 30:  Bannon (18), Hall (19), Grenier (23), Carmona (25).    

Here’s our system now: Henderson (5), Westburg (8), Vavra (13), Hernaiz (19), Hall (21), Servideo (26), Bannon (29).    Grenier and Carmona are still in our system too, but not able to crack the top 30. 

Add to those guys Cullen and several Dominican middle infielders acquired by Elias who appear to be legit but haven’t had their chance to come stateside.   I’m not saying any of those guys deserve top 30 status, but they might.    

The MI competition next year will be fierce!    Great job by Elias in turning a weakness into a strength in two years.   

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I saw some article about how pissed Braves fans must be seeing what they gave up for Tommy Milone, and I almost did a double take. I mean, if we gave away Toby Welk and slightly better Cadyn Greiner for nothing I wouldn't be happy about it, but upset/pissed would be far too strong of a word to describe my feelings

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, I saw some article about how pissed Braves fans must be seeing what they gave up for Tommy Milone, and I almost did a double take. I mean, if we gave away Toby Welk and slightly better Cadyn Greiner for nothing I wouldn't be happy about it, but upset/pissed would be far too strong of a word to describe my feelings

Similar to us fans on the Andrew Miller trade. Granted that was bigger and Eduardo turned out to be a major loss. But we gave up decent prospects for a pitcher who only helped marginally the year of the trade, then gone.

13 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Similar to us fans on the Andrew Miller trade. Granted that was bigger and Eduardo turned out to be a major loss. But we gave up decent prospects for a pitcher who only helped marginally the year of the trade, then gone.

Playoff races make teams make desperate trades.

27 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Nah, ERod was a much better prospect than either of the guys we got from the Braves. And unlike Tommy Milone, Andrew Miller was a huge asset for us that year

I wouldn't call either of the guys we got from the Braves, Greiner or Welk "decent prospects." Some of them are arguably prospects, but not anything to be even a little excited about

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1