Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

LookinUp

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd rather see Stewart at DH while the outfield starts off with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander. Mancini for me is the 1B if he's healthy.

The best defensive outfielder the Orioles can put out there is Hays in LF, Mullins in CF, and Santander in RF. If Mancini is not ready, Id go with that with Mountcastle moving to 1B and Stewart still at DH.

I mean when Diaz is up and starting and assuming health of the other others.

Either Mountcastle or Mancini will be at first and the other DH’ing.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You are missing the point of RZs question.

You stated that Diaz should have at least an 850 OPs before he is brought up.  Mancini had a far lower OPS than that and was also on a bad team. 

So, do you think it was a bad move to bring up Mancini when they did?  It’s a simple question based on the backdrop you have provided with your personal reasoning on when someone should be brought up.

Based on what you have said, the answer should be a resounding no?

Different Regime .... The O's including Showalter had pipedreams of contending! Elias is still subtracting and making no qualms about where they are in the process. Look ...I get you guys dont care about the clock.... I'm sure ME does!

I said I would send Diaz to AA and ask me to give me those results. He's never played a game at AAA and he missed all of 2020 like most minor leaguers

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My handle is Sports Guy " I'm Right I'm Right .... Nobody can beat me & If I can't beat you I'll just throw an insult!"    Mix-Repeat-Mix-Repeat!

I’m not insulting you at all.  You just aren’t answering any of the questions and it’s a waste of my time continue to ask you the same questions over and over again.  RZ has asked you and I have asked you and you still haven’t answered it.  You just aren’t comprehending what we are asking, so it’s not worth going any further.

But sure, if you want to take that as Sports Guy is always right, be my guest...it goes along with the rest of your reading comprehension in this thread.(and pretty much all threads)

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Different Regime .... The O's including Showalter had pipedreams of contending! Elias is still subtracting and making no qualms about where they are in the process. Look ...I get you guys dont care about the clock.... I'm sure ME does!

I said I would send Diaz to AA and ask me to give me those results. He's never played a game at AAA and he missed all of 2020 like most minor leaguers

Again, you are making it clear that you do not consider anything that happened at Bowie in 2020 to matter.  From what I have read, the Orioles strongly disagree with you.  Maybe you are right and the Orioles will ignore what they saw in 2020 and place everyone at their 2019 levels, but I would tend to doubt that.  Mountcastle's promotion would seem to be solid evidence of the Orioles' view of the level of growth and learning that went on at Bowie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Diaz, I really think his major league equation is quite simple. When there is everyday playing time available in the corner outfield or DH spot at the major league level and Diaz is playing effectively in AAA, he's going to get the call. I don't think there is any magic OPS number he must meet to get promoted. Now if he's killing it in AAA and a guy is under performing, then I can see him forcing his way up. 

Can you humor me and define playing effectively at AAA with some sort of range?

I don't think .262 batting at AA in 2019 and a year with no competitive ball screams I'm ready. The guy has been 20-30ISH points better in regards to AVG/OBP/SLG earlier in his progression. I'd like to see him hit .280+/.350+/and 850ish at AA. Maybe he's not capable but I think he is and would like to see the Orioles start promoting guys when they prove they are ready and not as acts of desperation. Would I promote him if there was a need and he was hitting .270/.335/.825? Sure .... Lower than that I wouldn't want to! Part of the Orioles problem is that they had a pattern of low OBP guys. So I want to see Elias to focus on complete hitters. I love homeruns as much as the next guy but hated watching our guys unable to produce runs any other way.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Can you humor me and define playing effectively at AAA with some sort of range?

I don't think .262 batting at AA in 2019 and a year with no competitive ball screams I'm ready. The guy has been 20-30ISH points better in regards to AVG/OBP/SLG earlier in his progression. I'd like to see him hit .280+/.350+/and 850ish at AA. Maybe he's not capable but I think he is and would like to see the Orioles start promoting guys when they prove they are ready and not as acts of desperation. Would I promote him if there was a need and he was hitting .270/.335/.825? Sure .... Lower than that I wouldn't want to! Part of the Orioles problem is that they had a pattern of low OBP guys. So I want to see Elias to focus on complete hitters. I love homeruns as much as the next guy but hated watching our guys unable to produce runs any other way.

You don't think it would be shortsighted to rely on traditional counting stats to determine if a player is worthy of promotion?

why even have an analytics department?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not insulting you at all.  You just aren’t answering any of the questions and it’s a waste of my time continue to ask you the same questions over and over again.  RZ has asked you and I have asked you and you still haven’t answered it.  You just aren’t comprehending what we are asking, so it’s not worth going any further.

But sure, if you want to take that as Sports Guy is always right, be my guest...it goes along with the rest of your reading comprehension in this thread.(and pretty much all threads)

So I'm too stupid to "Comprehend" what you are asking.....But your not throwing insults! Same old Shtick!!!!

I said that when Manicini was promoted it wasn't after a season where he didn't have a competitive AB. There is nothing wrong with that answer other than that is the answer you were looking for! I said Diaz season where he hit .262/807 was at AA and not AAA. So therefore the 2 circumstances are the same. Anyone with a little bit of intelligence can understand these differences (SEE I CAN DO IT ALSO!).

Also ..... Diaz was a highly sought after IFA that got a 2 million dollar gift from the Dodgers that we received as a part of the Machado deal. I'd assume you'd agree that expectations should be higher for a high priced IFR or a #1 overall selection like Adley compared to your expectations for an 8th round pick that received a nominal bonus. People were "Meh" about getting Stallings (a 5th rounder) for Iglesias

I think people also have to remember where guys are in their careers.

Diaz has almost 1500 MiL at bats.  He has over 700 at bats in AA alone and he has an OpS of 834 there.  Elias said that he would have been in AAA in 2019 had he not had injuries.  He doesn’t need to go to AA again.  He doesn’t have anything left there to prove.  He also just turned 24, so he is getting too old for the league anyway.

Rutschman is an elite college bat.  He turns 23 in a few months.   By all accounts, he has looked great in the camps of 2020. You don’t just keep elite guys that are advanced in age and approach in the minors for that long.  It doesn’t happen and it shouldn’t happen.  If he was a 20 year old kid out of HS, it would be different.  But he’s not.  Now, he does have to perform a lot better than what we saw in 2019 but again, that goes without saying.

Give him some time down there, make sure you gain the extra year this year and perhaps give him enough time to avoid Super 2 since he has so little pro experience but come early June or so, he should be ready to be here, if not sooner.

The reality is, im fine with bringing him up as soon as they gain the extra year of service time in 2021.  I’m sure they will give him more time than just a few weeks though.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So I'm too stupid to "Comprehend" what you are asking.....But your not throwing insults! Same old Shtick!!!!

I said that when Manicini was promoted it wasn't after a season where he didn't have a competitive AB. There is nothing wrong with that answer other than that is the answer you were looking for! I said Diaz season where he hit .262/807 was at AA and not AAA. So therefore the 2 circumstances are the same. Anyone with a little bit of intelligence can understand these differences (SEE I CAN DO IT ALSO!).

Also ..... Diaz was a highly sought after IFA that got a 2 million dollar gift from the Dodgers that we received as a part of the Machado deal. I'd assume you'd agree that expectations should be higher for a high priced IFR or a #1 overall selection like Adley compared to your expectations for an 8th round pick that received a nominal bonus. People were "Meh" about getting Stallings (a 5th rounder) for Iglesias

Two milion?  You better check again.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You are right..it’s not the answer I’m looking for because it’s not an answer to the question you were asked.

If I ask you, what is your favorite color and you tell me a banana, that is an answer and it’s not one I’m looking for..that doesn’t mean in insulting you, it just means that trying to discuss this with you when you clearly don’t want to answer the questions and you want your agenda is a waste of time.  

I think because of the way that 2020 went, level/placement will be more of a combination of scouting and performance than just performance. For Rutschman, that means that while you can justify starting him at lower levels, you also likely have enough to go on to start him in Baltimore on opening day if you really wanted. That argues for a AA assignment, though A+ wouldn't shock me I guess.

On Diaz, I personally believe that he has already shown he's ready for AAA. So, for me, that means I'd assign him to AAA. From there, he has issues that he needs to work on, most notably his availability and production over time. He has flashed nicely at times, but then he inevitably has missed time for various reasons and tends to start slow upon return. That seems to have suppressed his stats. Also, I honestly think there's a red flag in there somewhere with Diaz. I think the O's like the talent more than the make up. If he's traded, I wouldn't be shocked at all. I also acknowledge that I'm reading between the lines here and have no strong evidence, for what it's worth.

48 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Again, you are making it clear that you do not consider anything that happened at Bowie in 2020 to matter.  From what I have read, the Orioles strongly disagree with you.  Maybe you are right and the Orioles will ignore what they saw in 2020 and place everyone at their 2019 levels, but I would tend to doubt that.  Mountcastle's promotion would seem to be solid evidence of the Orioles' view of the level of growth and learning that went on at Bowie.

Different situation ..... Mountcastle hit .312/.344/.527 in 544 at bats in 2019 at AAA. He was clearly ready and I'm not sure how you think the Bowie time impacted that. He started at the Bowie camp only because there was no AAA. He started at the Bowie camp to delay the clock.