How About Almora?

Roll Tide

So Almora has a reputation of being a good defensive OF and a decent hitter .271 career average. The downside is that he offers little in OBP, 30 points higher than his average. It would allow the Orioles to move Santander or Mountcastle to DH. He could probably had for 1.75-2.5 million on a 1 year deal with an option. This could allow him to be dealt if he has a good season her and he helps the pitching with his defense.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has already said he is not competing in 2021.   Why would he spend money on the OF when he has a bunch of guys that he can put out there for the minimum.

Imnproves the entertainment value for the fans and can be dealt later on a 1 year + option deal

Mike has already said that Mountcastle is destined for the outfield, which I find… Inexplicable. But if that is the case, that is one more guy we have in the outfield queue. So if there’s anybody we don’t need, it is another outfielder, although I do agree with your point. However, I am very happy just rolling with our own guys, although I’d like a better catcher and a better third baseman, and a better second baseman, and a better short stop, but except for that I’m fine… Oh, I’d like a really good first basement too.

But aside from that I’m happy going with what we’ve got.

Edited by Philip

Almora's once highly praised CF defense has fallen off. He has always been a guy with average speed, but excellent jumps, but now even those jumps are just good. The defense no longer makes up for his terrible bat. It's an absolute shame to, because he was breaking out before the incident with the foul ball and the little girl. 

Our starting OF seems to be set with Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander, while Mullins, Stewart, and maybe Shaw and/or Mancini will also get some playing time out there, plus McKenna and/or Diaz will likely be up at some point during the 2021 season. I don't really see any point to adding yet another OF to an already pretty crowded OF picture.

If we're spending anything in free agency, it should be for IFs and SPs.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Our starting OF seems to be set with Mountcastle, Hays, and Santander, while Mullins, Stewart, and maybe Shaw and/or Mancini will also get some playing time out there, plus McKenna and/or Diaz will likely be up at some point during the 2021 season. I don't really see any point to adding yet another OF to an already pretty crowded OF picture.

If we're spending anything in free agency, it should be for IFs and SPs.

Yeah, I'd say OF is set.  Obviously SS is something they are going to look to add, and a couple SPers in the vein of Milone and Leblanc.  Maybe someone at 3B to challenge Ruiz.  I was disappointed when he went so cold last year.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t like Mullins but there may not be much difference between Mullins And Almora at this point

Since Almora's best (half) season in 2017, he's hit .261/.299/.373. I'm not super high on Mullins either, but I could easily see him outperforming that batting line while not performing significantly worse defensively than Almora (if at all). 

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Yeah, I'd say OF is set.  Obviously SS is something they are going to look to add, and a couple SPers in the vein of Milone and Leblanc.  Maybe someone at 3B to challenge Ruiz.  I was disappointed when he went so cold last year.  

Exactamundo.