They asked Mancini and Santander to defer money

eddie83

32 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Was this simply just an effort by Elias to stretch the 2021 payroll to sign a FA SS or starter he has in mind? I just cannot think that Elias would sign Sanchez and Valaika for nearly $2 million combined if money was THAT tight. 

It could be...

Actually, nah.  No way.  It must be the worst possible scenario because Angelos.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Was this simply just an effort by Elias to stretch the 2021 payroll to sign a FA SS or starter he has in mind? I just cannot think that Elias would sign Sanchez and Valaika for nearly $2 million combined if money was THAT tight. 

Let’s say this is the truth..that’s still awful that you need to stretch out 2.5M over multiple years to fit a mediocre, cheap player under your payroll.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s say this is the truth..that’s still awful that you need to stretch out 2.5M over multiple years to fit a mediocre, cheap player under your payroll.

I won’t argue with that. We could speculate deep into the weeds on this. Maybe he is exploring signing Andrelton Simmons, which would require stretching pennies into copper wire. Who knows. I will say that you his does not disgust me, nor does it alarm me. It did raise an eyebrow, however.

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Perhaps the season ticket renewals were down more than they anticipated. 

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I won’t argue with that. We could speculate deep into the weeds on this. Maybe he is exploring signing Andrelton Simmons, which would require stretching pennies into copper wire. Who knows. I will say that you his does not disgust me, nor does it alarm me. It did raise an eyebrow, however.

I don’t see how this isn’t alarming or disgusting to any fan..or any person in general who understands the amount of money in pro sports.

When you have agents saying they have never heard of anything like this before, I think that says a lot.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see how this isn’t alarming or disgusting to any fan..or any person in general who understands the amount of money in pro sports.

When you have agents saying they have never heard of anything like this before, I think that says a lot.

Hopefully MLB will force them to sell!

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So we have a team that has:

1- Asked guys with non-guaranteed contracts to take deferred money.

2- Let coaches go to save money

3- Killed pre and post game show to save money

4- Killed fan fest

5- Let announcers go to save money

And yet it's a complete coincidence that they just happen to go underslot with their first round pick and they just happened to leave more money unspent than any other team.

Because no way a ML team would care about a couple hundred thousand.

You do know they went with Kjerstad to be able to get two high ceiling high school kids in Mayo and Baumler, right? I don't think that has anything to do with them being cheap, but was how Elias wanted to get the most high ceiling guys in a five round draft.

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd feel better if they had purchased 200K more talent in the draft. 

I don't get why when we see this extreme cost cutting folks aren't willing to consider the possibility that cuts were made there as well.

You think they are saving more than 222K by letting a coach go?

Because we've told 50 times why this has nothing to do with the Orioles being cheap. I did hear the Orioles had allotted extra bonus money to a player that was taken before they could pick so they ended up with Baumler who wasn't going to cost as much. It's not like Elias had a prospect he liked better than Baumler, but the player's number was 200k more so he went with Baumler to save a few hundred K. 

Yes, it's clear the Orioles are cutting the budget in ways we've never seen before, but they also just spent the most money they've  ever spent in Latin America, so it appears that Elias is using his meager budget to build for the future, which means guys like Iglesias and Alberto had to go because of their price tags. 

Hopefully this is only because of shortened season last year with no fans in the stadiums and the most likely scenario of reduced fans in the stadiums this summer as well.

Saying that, I don't think many people around Baltimore would be upset if the team was sold by the Angelos family.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Seeing as the team tried to defer some of his salary, trading Santander feels like an even larger possibility now. 

I do admit to now worrying that they trade him for a lesser package though.

If Santander is traded and the package returned does not include at least one high ceiling guy, then I'll start to get real worried. Santander is still a guy who can be part of a willing future here in Baltimore so he's not a guy you move unless you think his return will give you even more value for the future.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There was never deferred contracts until 1985 when the Mets started it with a Daryl Strawberry contract.  Now about every team has or did deferred contracts before.  Someone always has to be the first to do something,  The A’s started they money ball saber matrix, the Rays started the shifts, the Astros started the trash can idea(ok maybe that a bad example) but teams that don’t have the same financial budget of other teams have to do things differently then big market teams do to compete.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

There was never deferred contracts until 1985 when the Mets started it with a Daryl Strawberry contract.  Now about every team has or did deferred contracts before.  Someone always has to be the first to do something,  The A’s started they money ball saber matrix, the Rays started the shifts, the Astros started the trash can idea(ok maybe that a bad example) but teams that don’t have the same financial budget of other teams have to do things differently then big market teams do to compete.

1763af79-a747-4a67-bc7e-d2b64dc313ec_300

The 1899-1900 Phillies are the first team to use electronic sign stealing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

If Santander is traded and the package returned does not include at least one high ceiling guy, then I'll start to get real worried. Santander is still a guy who can be part of a willing future here in Baltimore so he's not a guy you move unless you think his return will give you even more value for the future.

I dont get the need to defer money for these guys as they arent breaking the bank. Perhaps they should ask Davis to defer some more of that money that he isn't earning.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I dont get the need to defer money for these guys as they arent breaking the bank. Perhaps they should ask Davis to defer some more of that money that he isn't earning.

A lot of the Davis money is deferred.  The O's will be paying Davis for many years to come.

As for why, it's simple, future money is worth less.