TT: Means leads a starting staff with lots of questions

Tony-OH

7 hours ago, Philip said:

No Mattson?

and can you explain why Sceroler has a higher upside than Well even though Wells seems to have the better stats?

And Goudeau? He’s terrible.

Not sure how I rank the guys but I don’t think LeBlanc or Harvey get anywhere.

Mattson is a reliever and I was discussing the rotation. 

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

Tony, what do you think of Sceroler or Wells as the back half of an Opener/relief game?

They very well could. I think it's all going to depend on how they look and what the Orioles decide is their upside. I don't think they get kept unless the Orioles view them as viable starting pitchers in the future because neither have the big fastballs to fit into the high velocity, high leverage relievers in the modern bullpen.

You are right there are lots of questions, but I think it’s going to be an interesting rotation to watch.   I’m really interested in how Akin and Kramer fare in their second go-round, and for me Hernandez and Harvey are more interesting than the usual group of retreads and AAAA types we see.    Doesn’t mean that either has anything left in the tank, but it will be interesting to see if they do.    And I’m really hoping to see Lowther, Wells and Baumann debut at some point this summer.   I’ll be watching the pitching development real closely all year as we are finally at the point where promising prospects are in the majors or close, with even better ones not too far away.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are right there are lots of questions, but I think it’s going to be an interesting rotation to watch.   I’m really interested in how Akin and Kramer fare in their second go-round, and for me Hernandez and Harvey are more interesting than the usual group of retreads and AAAA types we see.    Doesn’t mean that either has anything left in the tank, but it will be interesting to see if they do.    And I’m really hoping to see Lowther, Wells and Baumann debut at some point this summer.   I’ll be watching the pitching development real closely all year as we are finally at the point where promising prospects are in the majors or close, with even better ones not too far away.  

I agree.

I want to see if Valdez can be in the rotation for a few months until Lowther and Zimmermann are ready.  I think Valdez is likely to do better that Felix or Matt Harvey.  Baumann is a secret.  Can't tell want is happening with him.  its kind of like hiding Adley in Twin Lakes for a week.

• Upvote 1

I don’t really care about the rotation (as a whole) right now...I care about it once we get to July or so.

There is a lot to look forward to and a lot to be potentially excited about but we have to see these guys pitch and gain experience.

I think they will go with a 6 man rotation for a while.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really care about the rotation (as a whole) right now...I care about it once we get to July or so.

There is a lot to look forward to and a lot to be potentially excited about but we have to see these guys pitch and gain experience.

I think they will go with a 6 man rotation for a while.

I do believe the second half rotation has a chance to be really fun to watch. A Means, Kremer, Akin, Baumann and Lowther rotation might be fun to watch and see how they fare against big leaguers over an extended period of time. Wonder of the Orioles ever had four rookies in a the rotation at one time before? The 1989 rotation had three rookies, but that's probably the record.

• Upvote 1

Yea, that’s my hope Tony.  If this season is not about winning and it’s about evaluation, the target for this team (By say Aug 1) should be to have a rotation similar to what you say here (Zimmerman, Wells and maybe Hall also enter into the equation), Diaz, Adley, Jones, et al all up here and playing a lot.

The big question marks are what happens with Santander and Mancini but this is what I’m looking forward to.  

In the meantime, there are some storylines in the majors to watch for a few months but watching the minor leagues is going to be key this year, obviously.

I wonder if the blueprint even for the Means/Akin/Kremer tier of guy is 32 starts.   I can see using the blip to regulate even those lead dogs to ~25 starts. 

It wouldn't shock me if like 10 guys made five or more starts/opener follows.   Felix thinking about his Wins and K's for HOF credentials; I'd enjoy seeing him accept an Opener to maximize.   Punch out the bottom of the lineup, make it to the 7th not the 6th on a good night, qualify for the W on a 4-inning night, fun times.

Silly stuff aside, I do think going back to 1450 innings will be a windfall for Once Through The Order usage patterns.   Tanner and Hunter for the 8th and 9th though!

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why is Sceroler ranked higher than Wells? Or is he?

Sceroler supposedly has the better overall stuff than Tyler Wells hence why he was selected with the fifth overall selection in the draft. Saying that, both are wild cards because they didn't pitch last year so who knows really?