Trade Central Station

Greg Pappas

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've addressed BABIP and BB/K plenty of times in this thread. His BB/K is great because of walks, but he gives it right back with hits (around 212 in around 190 IP). BABIP is always going to be worse for pitchers who are more hittable (as will HR rate -- how is Sonnanstines, I haven't checked). My BABIP would likely be in the .400s or .500s. Does that make me really unlucky or really hittable?
Are there any studies showing the correlation between BABIP and K-rate? Your explanation makes sense, but I haven't really seen anything concrete showing if a certain style of pitcher (GB, FB, SO, whatever) tends to have a higher or lower BABIP than average.

1B: Mark Teixeira: 6/102

Not enough

SS: Cesar Izturis: 3/10
Horrible contract

3B: Joe Crede 3/18

Probably not enough and don't want him anyway.

OF: Pat Burrell 4/64

Too much and doubt he comes here.

SP: A.J. Burnett 5/75

5 years is too much.

SP: Ben Sheets 5/65
Way too many years for an injury prone pitcher.

I haven't seen this anywhere- How about trading for Peralta with the intention of playing him at short next year and moving him to third after Mora leaves via FA? Peralta has a contract through 2010 with an option year in 2011, all reasonably priced. He certainly has the bat to be an average to above average hitter at third, and most likely to glove to contribute as well. It only temporarily solves the SS problem, but he might provide a long term solution at third. At the very least he gives Rowell and Snyder more chance to prove themselves. I'd be willing to give some combination of Sherrill and Scott/Reimold/Montanez to get him and a lower level prospect, or work him into a B-rob deal.

Guest BrettMeister86
I need Pete to open the wallet this offseason...

That free agent list was trying to do too much with marginal improvement in some areas. Personally, I think that the road to contention (or at least respectability) is a four step process.

In no particular order...

1. Sign Tex 6/140

2. Sign Burnett 4/60

3. Extend Markakis and Roberts (6/70 and 3/45)

4. Grab SS Kahlil Greene from SD. Haven't recent articles said they're looking to relieve themselves of his 6 million dollar salary? And the Orioles have plenty of 11-20 prospects that they could deal for Greene who is an East Coast native. I think Greene would be one of the best "available" SS that the O's could conceivably get this offseason.

So then you have this:

2B Roberts

CF Jones

RF Markakis

1B Tex

DH Huff

LF Scott

C Wieters

3B Mora

SS Greene

Now that the Royals have traded for Marlin 1Bman Mike Jacobs, KC has a "logjam" at 1B.

MLBTraderumors brings up an excellent point. Actually it was made by Rany Jazayerli (now that's a name!), but I digress...

Rany's worry is that this could lead to a trade of Billy Butler. With the Royals thinking they can push for contention in the next year or two, Jacobs in KC now and Kila Ka'aihue coming up behind him, Butler seems like a trade candidate. I think that if he's available, he's the kind of young bat that I'd love to see the O's invest in.

He's only 22 and can flat out rake. His power numbers have always been a bit lower than you'd expect/prefer from his size, but the dude can hit. The power could come, but maybe his swing just isn't built for 30+ HR annualy. Maybe some of the more scout-focused posters here can help us here. (Here's looking at you Stotle :))

What would you give up for Billy Butler? The Royals would like a CFer so that they can move DeJesus to a corner, but I wonder if Luke Scott would interest them. Joe Buck has never really lived up to his potential (.224/.304/.365 in 2008), so I wonder if they'd have any interest in Ramon Hernandez.

Now that the Royals have traded for Marlin 1Bman Mike Jacobs, KC has a "logjam" at 1B.

MLBTraderumors brings up an excellent point. Actually it was made by Rany Jazayerli (now that's a name!), but I digress...

Rany's worry is that this could lead to a trade of Billy Butler. With the Royals thinking they can push for contention in the next year or two, Jacobs in KC now and Kila Ka'aihue coming up behind him, Butler seems like a trade candidate. I think that if he's available, he's the kind of young bat that I'd love to see the O's invest in.

He's only 22 and can flat out rake. His power numbers have always been a bit lower than you'd expect/prefer from his size, but the dude can hit. The power could come, but maybe his swing just isn't built for 30+ HR annualy. Maybe some of the more scout-focused posters here can help us here.

What would you give up for Billy Butler? The Royals would like a CFer so that they can move DeJesus to a corner, but I wonder if Luke Scott would interest them. Joe Buck has never really lived up to his potential (.224/.304/.365 in 2008), so I wonder if they'd have any interest in Ramon Hernandez.

I'd be ecstatic to get Butler, but adding Jacobs to their roster doesn't impact Butler all that much, as Jacobs will play first with Butler remaining at DH. Kila Ka'aihue and Shealy would become available in my view, and I've recently touched on the idea of dealing for Kila... a potentially solid pick-up.

He's only 22 and can flat out rake. His power numbers have always been a bit lower than you'd expect/prefer from his size, but the dude can hit. The power could come, but maybe his swing just isn't built for 30+ HR annualy. Maybe some of the more scout-focused posters here can help us here. (Here's looking at you Stotle :))

Butler is like a young Sean Casey. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I'd rather have Tex.

I'd be ecstatic to get Butler, but adding Jacobs to their roster doesn't impact Jacobs all that much, as Jacobs will play first with Butler remaining at DH. Kila Ka'aihue and Shealy would become available in my view, and I've recently touched on the idea of dealing for Kila... a potentially solid pick-up.

I'd agree... I'd be more than happy to get Kila as well. I think if they do trade anyone away from that group of 1B (which also includes Ross Gload) it would have to be Butler or Kila. If the Royals really are trying to compete, they'll be looking for quality MLers in return, and neither Shealy or Gload will get them that. EDIT: and Greg, you may be right that this makes Kila more available than Butler, because that way they won't be subracting from their MLB team. Good point.

Butler is like a young Sean Casey. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I'd rather have Tex.

But that ignores Casey's plus glove and the fact that Butler is still only 22 and still has room to grow into his power projections. Just because Casey never did, doesn't mean Butler won't. I think a right handed Casey with less of a glove is the lowest expectation you can have for Butler.

I'd be ecstatic to get Butler, but adding Jacobs to their roster doesn't impact Jacobs all that much, as Jacobs will play first with Butler remaining at DH. Kila Ka'aihue and Shealy would become available in my view, and I've recently touched on the idea of dealing for Kila... a potentially solid pick-up.

Well, I have to admit I was wrong. In a much earlier post i suggested that KC wouldn't do Kila and Teahen for L. Scott but after this trade it sure seems like they should and probably would.

Kudos to Greg for suggesting a very possible and good trade for the O's. I hope AM makes the move.

The Royals want to upgrade at catcher and perhaps they'd view Ramon as an upgrade for Kila...

I'd rather do that than trade away a guy under control for cheap that rakes at OPACY...

The Royals want to upgrade at catcher and perhaps they'd view Ramon as an upgrade for Kila...

I'd rather do that than trade away a guy under control for cheap that rakes at OPACY...

I really will be surprised if Ramon was dealt to either Florida or KC, and I'd be shocked if KC would not only want him, but gave up Ka'aihue for him.

Hernandez makes sense only for a team with an almost desperate need for a league average catcher (at best), and feels that taking him on for the final year of his contract works for them.

Archived