April 26: The Evil Empire comes to town, cue the Darth Vader Theme

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Garcia is getting away with a lot of bad pitches.    I’m not impressed.   Hope we get to him next inning if Boone is foolish enough to leave him in.   

Now let’s see if Harvey can pitch decently in the fifth inning for once.  

As Kevin Brown just said, it's the Danger Zone.  Kenny Loggins anyone?

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Freddy left the game when I was between my office and my car in the parking lot.  Any idea what happened?  Did he pull up lame on that RBI double he hit the previous inning?

It didn't look like he pulled up lame. Till he stopped at 2B and squatted down. Palmer or Brown speculated groin?

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

The knock on Mullins was that he was a good defender with a week arm, but he couldn’t hit very well.

I’m not sure that’s true…

Here is Luke Siler's take on Cedric Mullins from November 2017. His comment about switch hitting was prescient.

Scouting report (now and future)

Hit: 45/50

Power: 50/55

Speed: 60/60

Field: 55/60

Arm: 45/45

What we know: Mullins packs some pop into a small frame.  He’s a switch-hitter but he does his best work from the left side where his quick, compact swing shows power to all fields.  His right-handed swing is a bit longer due to a late load and doesn’t generate the same easy power.  He has a patient approach at times but struggles with pitch recognition and was often caught in between during his late season slump.  He’s the best defensive outfielder in the system including the major league team.  He combines plus speed, a quick first step, good route running, and the innate ability to jump/drive for the ball.  His arm is slightly below average, but good enough for CF or LF. He has been a good baserunner in the past, but he looked very uncomfortable trying to steal bases this season, I assume it had something to do with the hamstring injuries he dealt with.

What we don't know: Will he be able to hit well enough right-handed to avoid a platoon role?  Will he improve his pitch recognition and stop getting himself out?  Will the hamstring issues continue to plague him?

What he needs to improve: He needs to figure out his right-handed swing or stop switch hitting.  He’s pretty much MLB-ready defensively.  All he needs at the plate is more time, he made the huge jump from low A to AA and did extremely well until his late season slump.  I think he’ll continue to refine his strike zone and pitch recognition with more ABs.

Summary: Mullins was pushed aggressively in 2017 and didn’t disappoint. He’s a true centerfielder and will hit for plenty of power to profile as a regular there if he can adjust to advanced pitching.  Right now, he struggles when pitchers sequence pitches well, but that’s to be expected of a guy with only 350 PA above low A.  I like his chances to adapt and I think he’ll at least be a good hitter in the better part of a platoon.  His ability to play CF well gives him both a MLB floor and the ceiling of an all-star.

• Thanks 1