April 29: Series finale vs Yankees

SteveA

I’m a little bit annoyed with the pitching, in and a little bit annoyed with how Brandon uses them, but I am highly annoyed at the infield. Do we really have absolutely no guys in the high minors, or even in the medium minors, who can’t produce more than these guys? Valaika is a great name and Urias is a great story, blah blah blah Get rid of them…

A scoreless top of the 8th could be pivotal.

1) It would allow us to bring Valdez in for the 9th and he has a good chance to throw a scoreless inning, meaning we would essentially have two chances to win this game with the top of the order coming up -- bottom of the 8th or bottom of the 9th walkup.

2) If the Yankees don't take a lead, they are less likely to use Chapman.   

58 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Plutko came in after 2 batters who saw just 8 pitches, so I would say he must have been up to start the inning.

Yeah, like I said, I was driving so I wasn’t able to pay attention so I was definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt and asking the crowd. But he should always have at least one reliever warming up when the starter hits the danger zone.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Plutko came in in a pretty bad situation.   The fact that he gave up a 2 out base hit and allowed a couple of Lopez's runs to score shouldn't tarnish a very good relief outing too much.

I appreciate that, and I understand it, and I do think he did a good job, but the fact is he allowed the runner to score and it’s ridiculous to gloss over that and say he’s given up no runs. Yes, the runs show up on somebody else’s stat sheet, but they do show up. ERA is the worst possible way to judge a reliever, because it ignores and that extremely important fact.