Can AM accomplish the following this off season?

bigbird

Extend Markakis

Extend Roberts

Trade Hernandez

Acquire starting pitcher #1

Acquire starting pitcher #2

Acquire a starting 1B

Acquire a starting SS

Sign quality minor league free agents for depth

=========

Seems like a lot for the pace he works at. We need to all of the above. Can AM handle it???? I was told he's working very hard at this time...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As upset as I have been with him about his deliberate pace I do think he can get this stuff done and to me, its not as much as it looks.

Extending Markakis and BRob is easy...You should know what you want to pay and vice versa.

Sign Tex...This is the hard but still, once the market gets set you have an idea of where you need to go.

I really think we should trade for Vazquez...He is a perfect starter for us to go after and he probably won't cost us that much...We should be on the phone to the WS right now about this...If we are going to trade BRob, Vazquez should come back in the deal(which will be good because he should end up being worth at least 1 draft pick as well). And if we don't trade BRob, we should still be able to obtain him.

The second starter is a little tougher but still, same concept...Someone we can get that is either younger and cheap(Sonnanstine) or someone who is on a one year contract, either through FA or in a trade.

MiL FA for depth is easy.

The hardest part is probably the SS but should be doable.

Extend Markakis

Extend Roberts

Trade Hernandez

Acquire a starting 1B

Acquire a starting SS

=========

Seems like a lot for the pace he works at. We need to all of the above. Can AM handle it???? I was told he's working very hard at this time...

Out of all of those, I think extending Nick and Brian are foregone conclusions that will happen. Trading Hernandez...not so much. It will be really hard to pawn off an aging, slumping catcher like him. I think he may be able to sign at least one good starter and hopefully sign Tex. The SS is going to be difficult because there are a lot of teams out there looking for help at this position. Minor league depth will probably be the easiest out of all of these options though.

As upset as I have been with him about his deliberate pace I do think he can get this stuff done and to me, its not as much as it looks.

Extending Markakis and BRob is easy...You should know what you want to pay and vice versa.

Sign Tex...This is the hard but still, once the market gets set you have an idea of where you need to go.

I really think we should trade for Vazquez...He is a perfect starter for us to go after and he probably won't cost us that much...We should be on the phone to the WS right now about this...If we are going to trade BRob, Vazquez should come back in the deal(which will be good because he should end up being worth at least 1 draft pick as well). And if we don't trade BRob, we should still be able to obtain him.

The second starter is a little tougher but still, same concept...Someone we can get that is either younger and cheap(Sonnanstine) or someone who is on a one year contract, either through FA or in a trade.

From what I was told today we ain't trading Roberts....

Extend Markakis

Extend Roberts

Trade Hernandez

Acquire a starting 1B

Acquire a starting SS

=========

He certainly should be able to extend our own guys. He has a 1B option for one year, in-house, with Huff. I really think there's enough SP available to get it done. Also, as SG has pointed out recently, Hernandez's numbers compare pretty favorably to the other catcher's in the league. So he may be more tradeable than some think. Finally, if we're going to get a young SS, what are we willing to give up?

All in all, it's doable, but the SS will be the hardest part.

If we're not trading Brob what would we trade for Vazquez? Kenny Williams' history tells us he's a "win now" kind of guy so I don't see him interested in minor leaguers and his outfield is already full.

I think we'll pick up a not-so-exciting shortstop -- Greene, Renteria, etc. We'll add a couple of starters though i don't think they will be anywhere near top of the line.

I don't have inside knowledge but my gut tells me that Brob will not be any rush to sign on for more years. He'll play wait and see and keep his options open.

I hate to be a pessimist but we can't add young talent without something tasty to trade and we're not going to be an attractive destination for top free agents.

There will be lots of rumors but not much progress.

Just out of curiosity, what is it you like about Vazquez, SG? I understand Sonnanstine, but Vazquez's numbers really aren't doing it for me.

Extend Markakis

Extend Roberts

Trade Hernandez

Acquire a starting 1B

Acquire a starting SS

=========

I'd rank trading Hernandez as the most difficult (if you want to get anything of value in return).

Acquiring a 1B is probably the least important of this list because Huff is still here (as mentioned earlier). You can play Huff at 1B, DH Scott, and Nolan in LF. For the record, I'm all for AM throwing a boatload of cash for Tiex.

Getting pitchers will be hard as well. I hope they don't sign a FA for a multi year contract unless it's Burnett for 3 yrs (I believe the Yankees will outbid for him). Lohse's 4 year extension doesn't help the pitcher's market from a buyer's standpoint.

Archived