Can AM accomplish the following this off season?

bigbird

If Mora would accept a trade to Chicago, a Mora for Vazquez deal makes sense to me.

Mora, being from Venezuela, may be able to get persuaded by Guillen to waive his NTC.

That might be a good trade, but who plays 3B. I don't think Huff is solid enough defensively to handle it on a daily basis.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think "Can Mcphail do it" is an unfair question. There are so many variables to each situtation that you mention, some of which are completely out of Mcphails control....

I can agree with this to a certain extent, but why can other teams complete these tasks when we cannot?????????? I get the impression this FO can only work on one major item at any one time. As long as we are unable to accomplish a set of predetermined goals, this team will never be a winner again. I don't know about anyone else on this board, but when I have set of goals to accomplish annually in my job, and they do not get accomplished - I am considered a 'Needs Improvement'. Its safe to say that Andy has done some very good things here, but until this team is a winner again, I would rate its performance as a 'Needs'.... No bonus this year big boy.

As upset as I have been with him about his deliberate pace I do think he can get this stuff done and to me, its not as much as it looks.

Extending Markakis and BRob is easy...You should know what you want to pay and vice versa.

Sign Tex...This is the hard but still, once the market gets set you have an idea of where you need to go.

I really think we should trade for Vazquez...He is a perfect starter for us to go after and he probably won't cost us that much...We should be on the phone to the WS right now about this...If we are going to trade BRob, Vazquez should come back in the deal(which will be good because he should end up being worth at least 1 draft pick as well). And if we don't trade BRob, we should still be able to obtain him.

The second starter is a little tougher but still, same concept...Someone we can get that is either younger and cheap(Sonnanstine) or someone who is on a one year contract, either through FA or in a trade.

MiL FA for depth is easy.

The hardest part is probably the SS but should be doable.

What makes you think trading for 2 quality starting pitchers like Vazquez and Sonnanstine won't cost much?

If McPhail doesn't pull off cheap trades for these guys, you'll criticize him when you have no idea what the Rays and WS would be asking for.

Its easy to be a GM from the couch.

That might be a good trade, but who plays 3B. I don't think Huff is solid enough defensively to handle it on a daily basis.

We at least have some options for third base...They may not be great options but we can at least fill the position and perhaps we can find a Greg Dobbs, Wes Helms, Casey blake type guy to hold down the fort for a year and then we can see where Snyder and Rowell are.

Getting rid of Mora, adding a good starter like vazquez and possibly getting picks(i think our chance are better with Vazquez than Mora) is more important IMO.

What makes you think trading for 2 quality starting pitchers like Vazquez and Sonnanstine won't cost much?

If McPhail doesn't pull off cheap trades for these guys, you'll criticize him when you have no idea what the Rays and WS would be asking for.

Its easy to be a GM from the couch.

I said Vazquez probably won't cost much and just because you haven't followed his situation(or read the link that Ruzious posted) doesn't mean you should jump on me.

Besides, my definition of not costing much is probably different than yours. I am saying he won't cost any of our top guys...the rest of the guys are tradeable and won't be missed all that much but they could be guys that have value to a playoff contender(like Mora).

3. and 4. Guthrie seems to be a quality no. 1 or no. 2 for now. I like what I saw of this Cubs trade idea from Davearm. I don't know if Liz will get both Cedeno and Marquis. Marquis would be cheaper than Burnett. Scott could be moved. Pinella is looking for a left-handed, right fielder. This would also secure an open spot for either Montanez or Reimold to battle for LF.

And a lot worse.:eek:

I hope AM doesn't see Marquis as a replacement for Burnett. I hope AM won't want Marquis at all. Didn't SG just make a post about NOT signing middling talent for big dollars? Did most not agree with that? Spend a little bit more and get someone good or let someone young and cheap give it a go.

I do not agree with this on two counts.

One, Huff does not command $15M off of one good year.

Two, noone is going to give Huff a five year contract when has foundered for 2 or the last 3 years.

I think after the O's miss on Tex they offer Huff 2/25 with a club option and he takes it.

That would be paying decent money for mediocre FA's, just the thing we need to avoid.

Extend Markakis

Extend Roberts

Trade Hernandez

Acquire starting pitcher #1

Acquire starting pitcher #2

Acquire a starting 1B

Acquire a starting SS

Sign quality minor league free agents for depth

=========

Seems like a lot for the pace he works at. We need to all of the above. Can AM handle it???? I was told he's working very hard at this time...

I think Markakis extension comes soon. Roberts may take a little longer as he will want to see how the team is shaping up.

Trading Hernandez could be the toughest move possibly second only to signing Tex.

I'm hoping we sign Burnett and trade for someone like Vasquez.

Sign Tex. If he's out, I would look real hard at trading Roberts but it doesn't sound like AM is thinking the same thing.

I think Cedeno is one of the more likely target for SS that won't cost a ton.

I think perhaps the very next move will be to sign a quality pitcher. Doing that will help convince Tex we are serious. Suddenly he sees a team that has invested some serious money before they even get to him.QUOTE]

I think this is the key to having any chance to sign Tex without grossly overpaying. Tex and Roberts want to win, which won't happen without improved pitching. A Burnettl-like signing and a Nick extension says we are serious. I bet Roberts waits until we get Tex before extending.

BTW, i was mistaken...Vazquez has 2 years left on his contract...Probably could get him even cheaper.

OK...looking at Chaos' posted article...what else could we expect from Chicago in a Roberts deal? I'm assuming that Vazquez would come back in that deal.

Don't they have a very good 2nd base prospect who's a year or two away?

OK...looking at Chaos' posted article...what else could we expect from Chicago in a Roberts deal? I'm assuming that Vazquez would come back in that deal.

Don't they have a very good 2nd base prospect who's a year or two away?

Talked about this the other day....Swisher seemed to have fallen out of favor as well.

I would try to do some kind of deal where they get BRob and we get Vazquez, Swisher and Getz.

Obviously, we would need to include more...Because of salary, i would ask them take back Walker or if he will accept a deal to the White Sox, Mora.

If it is Mora, we may not have to include anything else.

If it is Walker, we would have to include something else....Could see that being many things.

Archived