Can AM accomplish the following this off season?

bigbird

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, contracts aside, Huff was the MVO this year and Vazquez is being pushed out the door by his team. Doesn't look like a fair trade to me.

Huff has 1 year left on his contract and isn't a sure thing as we might think...we should get something for him now. Vazquez despite a poor year on paper, he pitched just as well as he did in 2007 according to FIP and he has 2 years left on his contract that pay him a cheap $11.5M.

Plus Vazquez would be worth more at a trade deadline than Huff so it would be easier to unload him down the road.

I bet Roberts waits until we get Tex before extending.

Not being a member of the Orioles Hangout' date=' Roberts isn't fixated on Tex. He didn't even mention him when Anita Marks asked him about free agents the Orioles would or should go after on his weekly radio spot a couple of weeks ago. He said he that pitching was absolutely the first priority followed by shortstop and that he thought there would be some talks with Burnett because of his personal ties to the Baltimore area, and that he'd be interested in getting Rafael Furcal because it would be fun for him to play up the middle and hit at the top of the lineup with someone else who had a similar playing style to himself. Not a word about Mr. Teixeira. You could take that one of two ways. Either A) Roberts isn't interested in getting Teixeira, or B) he already knows that's not happening. I suspect more of B but also that he realizes first base and power hitting aren't areas we [i']should[/i] be blowing the budget on at this juncture.

Not being a member of the Orioles Hangout, Roberts isn't fixated on Tex. He didn't even mention him when Anita Marks asked him about free agents the Orioles would or should go after on his weekly radio spot a couple of weeks ago. He said he that pitching was absolutely the first priority followed by shortstop and that he thought there would be some talks with Burnett because of his personal ties to the Baltimore area, and that he'd be interested in getting Rafael Furcal because it would be fun for him to play up the middle and hit at the top of the lineup with someone else who had a similar playing style to himself. Not a word about Mr. Teixeira. You could take that one of two ways. Either A) Roberts isn't interested in getting Teixeira, or B) he already knows that's not happening. I suspect more of B but also that he realizes first base and power hitting aren't areas we should be blowing the budget on at this juncture.

You mean you can only look at 2 ways because that's how YOU want to present things?

I can't really imagine why anyone wouldn't think that having a guy who hit .300 with 30 homers and 100 RBIs last year for $8 million for 2009 without any longer commitment isn't a great deal.

Because the previous 4 years of his play suggest that there's a good chance that last year was a fluke and because he plays poor defense that means he is a liability at any position he plays. It means he's not a great fit for any NL team and most of the AL teams have DHs or aren't so interested in a player of his caliber.

Because the previous 4 years of his play suggest that there's a good chance that last year was a fluke and because he plays poor defense that means he is a liability at any position he plays. It means he's not a great fit for any NL team and most of the AL teams have DHs or aren't so interested in a player of his caliber.

Huff doesn't look pretty playing defense, but he's not a major liability at first or third. Of course there's a very good chance he'll regress some from last year but how many players are out there (other than youngsters who haven't reached arbitration) making $8 million who have produced that much in a season even once?

Trying to give away that $10M contract, uh Dave.

I agree with SG on this on. MacPhail probably has as much interest in Marquis as he does is walking your dog.

Try Cedeno for Penn. That might actually work.

30+ starts and ~200 innings of league-average pitching has value, which is just what Marquis has provided 4 of the last 5 years.

Whether that value is ~10M for one year, hard to say. The list is rather long of pitchers that have parlayed that same basic resume into 3- and 4-year deals for that type of annual money (Wolf, Washburn, Suppan, Silva, etc.) Maybe you have to add a cheap-but-fringey young player to make that work, hence Cedeno.

I can't see any reason why the Cubs would want Hayden Penn, unless he somehow fits into a subsequent trade. He wouldn't make their team out of ST, and then what? They'd much sooner just keep Cedeno.

30+ starts and ~200 innings of league-average pitching has value, which is just what Marquis has provided 4 of the last 5 years.

Whether that value is ~10M for one year, hard to say. The list is rather long of pitchers that have parlayed that same basic resume into 3- and 4-year deals for that type of annual money (Wolf, Washburn, Suppan, Silva, etc.) Maybe you have to add a cheap-but-fringey young player to make that work, hence Cedeno.

I can't see any reason why the Cubs would want Hayden Penn, unless he somehow fits into a subsequent trade. He wouldn't make their team out of ST, and then what? They'd much sooner just keep Cedeno.

I don't know what the Cubs will do but I remember he trying to trade off Marquis all last off season and this thread seems to indicate that you have not chanced your mind.

I don't know what the Cubs will do but I remember he trying to trade off Marquis all last off season and this thread seems to indicate that you have not chanced your mind.

And the Orioles were reportedly interested...I think AM would be interested in Marquis, just not as his price tag.

Archived