People are always picking on Pedro Severino, but…

Frobby

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly, slowly, Severino’s offensive numbers have been heading towards respectability.   On May 8 his OPS stood at .542.   He’s now up to .696 overall, having posted .779 in the intervening 50 games he’s played.   He’s also now up to 0.8 rWAR, 0.3 fWAR.   Nothing great there, but at least in positive territory despite his framing/blocking issues.   In the past, he’s slumped badly at the end of the season.  We’ll see how he finishes this time.  

• Upvote 1

His “runs from extra strikes” this year is -7, meaning he has given up 7 runs this year on his framing alone. Not to mention his horrible blocking. That puts him at 53 for MLB catchers this year out of 55 qualifying. To compare, Sean Murphy is number 1 with 9 runs saved. 
That also doesn’t take into account the strikes that he has stolen from pitchers. He isn’t doing it as much now but at the beginning of the year he would randomly stand up when he caught the ball and blocked what should have been clear strikes from being called. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Slowly, slowly, Severino’s offensive numbers have been heading towards respectability.   On May 8 his OPS stood at .542.   He’s now up to .696 overall, having posted .779 in the intervening 50 games he’s played.   He’s also now up to 0.8 rWAR, 0.3 fWAR.   Nothing great there, but at least in positive territory despite his framing/blocking issues.   In the past, he’s slumped badly at the end of the season.  We’ll see how he finishes this time.  

Still terrible though. Can’t wait to give him his goodbye fruit basket.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I never want to see anyone hurt.  And as much as I've rode Severino earlier for being just terrible behind the plate, at least the bat has improved recently to SLIGHTLY offset him being so poor behind the plate.  That said, I'm looking forward to seeing less of him behind the plate, just wish it was due to performance and not injury.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• You just can’t win with an offense this bad. It was an overreaction a month ago when they were getting called embarrassing or pathetic after a bad game. It legitimately might be an understatement at this point.  They have scored 4 runs or less in 19 out of their last 24 games (and 11 of their last 12 games) against teams that aren’t the Rockies or the White Sox. In those 19 games, they have scored 44 total runs (2.32 per game). In two of those games, they scored exactly 5 runs. In another, they scored 10 runs and lost. In another, they had 2 runs going into the 8th. Again, anyone complaining about this offense is underselling it at this point. In total, they have 80 runs in those 24 games (3.33 per game). In their last 8 games overall (including the White Sox), they have scored 15 runs. This offense is completely broken.
    • This team does not hit the fastball well, that's not good.
    • Plenty of teams limp into the playoffs and then make a deep run. This team has enough talent to do it, I just want to see Mayo and Kjerstad finally given a shot to play every day (put Kjerstad in RF, Santander at 1B, Mayo the full time DH), and move away from struggling/low ceiling vets like O'Hearn, Eloy, Rivera, and Slater.  Mayo and Kjerstad playing regularly and Westburg making it back for the playoffs could transform the lineup. I think Hyde is a terrible manager who can't write out a good lineup to save his life, but this offense has been so bad for so long that I think even he's capable of making those changes.  If Webb, Coloumbe, and Grayson can all make it back healthy, they'll also make a difference. 
    • Another Hyde thread 🙄
    • How am I scapegoating him? He hasn't played well for a very long time. I'm just saying give Mayo a legit shot.
    • Am looking forward to the season being over.  Yankees are taking full advantage of the O’s ineptitude - as they should.   Team is so inept offensively and does not seem fixable.  Bad combo of too many players still trying to figure things out. Have no idea what to expect over the next 2 weeks,  but currently they are unwatchable and an overall joyless bunch.   Need new dugout leadership that can help this team unlock its potential,  Hyde is no longer the answer and I think he knows it. 
  • Popular Contributors