Tyler Wells to IL (Connor Greene Recalled)

Frobby

More injury fallout from previously allowing pitchers to use sticky substance and instantly going to nothing at all? Having to grip the ball harder makes sense for tendinitis in the wrist/forearm area. Interestingly Wells spin rate has gone UP since the ban. He sits 2400-2600 regularly 

Edited by 27outs

28 minutes ago, 27outs said:

More injury fallout from previously allowing pitchers to use sticky substance and instantly going to nothing at all? Having to grip the ball harder makes sense for tendinitis in the wrist/forearm area. Interestingly Wells spin rate has gone UP since the ban. He sits 2400-2600 regularly 

Wouldn’t that tend to indicate he hadn’t been using the sticky stuff, and therefore   his injury wasn’t caused by no longer using it?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wouldn’t that tend to indicate he hadn’t been using the sticky stuff, and therefore   his injury wasn’t caused by no longer using it?

I have to think he, like EVERY pitcher was using at least the rosin/sunscreen combo. But possibly. Hard to think there’s anyone who didn’t use something. 

21 minutes ago, 27outs said:

I have to think he, like EVERY pitcher was using at least the rosin/sunscreen combo. But possibly. Hard to think there’s anyone who didn’t use something. 

My point is that if his spin rate is increasing, it’s either unlikely he was using it before, or unlikely he stopped.  In any event it’s kind of speculative to link this injury to the ban.  

Just curious, is there evidence of an increase in pitcher injuries since the ban?  I hadn’t read that anywhere, but I easily could have missed it.  

My guess is that the O's will call up a position player to replace T Wells.     A lot of pitchers on the IL.  Mattson isn't but has not pitched since July 10th for some reason.   The choices are Nevin, Gutierrez, or Bannon.

I doubt the O's want to DFA anyone at this point with all these injuries.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

My guess is that the O's will call up a position player to replace T Wells.     A lot of pitchers on the IL.  Mattson isn't but has not pitched since July 10th for some reason.   The choices are Nevin, Gutierrez, or Bannon.

Hyde indicated it would be a pitcher in last night’s presser.  

We have Eshelman on the roster who hasn't pitched in 14 days.  We only have 5 games in the next 7 days before Wells is "expected" to come off the IL.

Calling up another back of the bullpen guy from Norfolk to join Anderson just doesn't make much sense.

BUT, as @Frobby says, Hyde did say it would be a pitcher.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hyde indicated it would be a pitcher in last night’s presser.  

Well that just makes the decision more interesting.  Akin, Hunter Harvey, Lakins, and Zimmermann are on the major league IL.   Lowther is on the Tides IL.  Baumann just pitched. Mattson has not pitched since July 10th.   Kremer has a 10.13 ERA in 3 July appearances.

Dusten Knight would be a desirable call up but who are the O's going to DFA to get him on the roster?

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well that just makes the decision more interesting.  Akin, Hunter Harvey, Lakins, and Zimmermann are on the major league IL.   Lowther is on the Tides IL.  Baumann just pitched. Mattson has not pitched since July 10th.   Kremer has a 10.13 ERA in 3 July appearances.

Dusten Knight would be a desirable call up but who are the O's going to DFA to get him on the roster?

Of that group, I’d go with Lakins.