DJ Stewart to 60 Day IL and Cesar Valdez called up from Norfolk

OsFanSinceThe80s

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The hope is he can be a poor man’s Kyle Schwarber after Mancini and Santander are traded. He’s obviously slated for a reserve role until then. However, after that I think he has a chance to blossom until Stowers and Neustrom are ready?

I think we've seen all we are going to see from DJ Stewart. 

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Stewart is the 4th/5th OF until after the trade deadline and we deal Mancini and Santander. Then Stowers in RF with Stewart being the full time DH. Neustrom could be in the mix as well. 

is a 5th OF even a thing anymore w/ the proliferation of relievers.  It seems lately, a ML bench is usually a backup C, utility IF, and 4th OF.  Maybe a 4t player who is also a utility player, but has a better bat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

is a 5th OF even a thing anymore w/ the proliferation of relievers.  It seems lately, a ML bench is usually a backup C, utility IF, and 4th OF.  Maybe a 4t player who is also a utility player, but has a better bat. 

Good point.  The need for Stewart or someone like him is that both Santander and Hays has been injury prone.  If they go to the IL early in the season when Stowers and Neustrom are still at AAA getting the experience they need than Stewart can fill in.   They will have McKenna but that would only give the team 3 outfielders.  

Stewart has an option and is cheap.  And I am not saying it has to be Stewart if Elias finds someone better on the waiver wire.  But the OF depth is needed until Stowers or Neustrom are ready for promotion to the majors.

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The hope is he can be a poor man’s Kyle Schwarber after Mancini and Santander are traded. He’s obviously slated for a reserve role until then. However, after that I think he has a chance to blossom until Stowers and Neustrom are ready?

Destitute man's Schwarber - at best.  

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Good point.  The need for Stewart or someone like him is that both Santander and Hays has been injury prone.  If they go to the IL early in the season when Stowers and Neustrom are still at AAA getting the experience they need than Stewart can fill in.   They will have McKenna but that would only give the team 3 outfielders.  

Stewart has an option and is cheap.  And I am not saying it has to be Stewart if Elias finds someone better on the waiver wire.  But the OF depth is needed until Stowers or Neustrom are ready for promotion to the majors.

Stewart is no answer. McKenna is better, even if he doesn’t hit well, at least until Stowers is ready. Even if Mancini is traded, which he won’t be, that would just be an earlier call up for Stowers. So for now anyway, Mullins, Hays, Santander, McKenna. The absolute most you do with Stewart is put him in AAA in case there’s a breakout of the plague.