2021 Fall Instructional Camp Roster

LookinUp

One name I was glad to see is Elio Prado, acquired in the Cashner trade.  He had a good DSL campaign in 2019 but didn’t play this summer, apparently due to some sort of injury.   

Initially I was surprised to see Rom and Brnovich, considering they both logged quite a few innings this year (107 and 95, respectively).   But since they aren’t playing any games, perhaps that’s less of an issue.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting.   Basallo, Maikol Hernandez and De los Santos are the only three who played in the DSL only this year.   Basallo and Hernandez were the two highest profile signins.  De los Santos, arguably, the top peformer.   Luis Gonzalez, the highest profile signing from two years ago along with Luis Ortiz (who is not there) the pitcher, is also there.

I would think that if they got visas to play in the fall instructs, then they’ll be on one of the FCL squads next year. 

4 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

That's an awfully impressive list. I'll be very eager to hear reports about the younger guys like Basallo, Hernandez, De Los Santos, etc.  But Kjerstad/Hall/Baumler have to be the biggest story lines. 

As Roch notes, it's not open to the media or the public.   We will probably hear very little.   Elias is pretty good at keeping the lid on the pot so you can't see what's cooking.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

As Roch notes, it's not open to the media or the public.   We will probably hear very little.   Elias is pretty good at keeping the lid on the pot so you can't see what's cooking.

Well, there will have to be a puff piece or two.   Matt Blood going on about how good everyone has looked in camp and whatnot.   

• Haha 1

Good to see speedy centerfielder Prado in action.  

I agree with Frobby, I would think speedy 17 year old Junior Lara would have been on my  Instructs team.  

I think the biggest omission is 18 year old Orioles 2 shortstop Frederick Benscome.  He carried the team to a respectable 25 and 30 record.  Batting left handed he hit .310/.365.451.  6 doubles, 4 triples, 2 homers, 10 for 13 steals.  18 Ks in 142 at bats. Hits the ball in the air 60% of the time.  He played a little 3rd too. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, there will have to be a puff piece or two.   Matt Blood going on about how good everyone has looked in camp and whatnot.   

I wonder if all of these guys will show up “in the best shape of their life” and the pitchers will have the ball “exploding out their hand” while hitters are taking “very good swings” and “some of these guys might surprise you in the future?”

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder if all of these guys will show up “in the best shape of their life” and the pitchers will have the ball “exploding out their hand” while hitters are taking “very good swings” and “some of these guys might surprise you in the future?”

Are you thinking coaches will be "pleased with the progress"?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would think that if they got visas to play in the fall instructs, then they’ll be on one of the FCL squads next year. 

I think the odds greatly favor all 3 but expect many more DSL players to begin in the FCL next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think the odds greatly favor all 3 but expect many more DSL players to begin in the FCL next year.

Considering the O’s only drafted one HS player and most of their college guys got promoted to Delmarva in August, it’s a safe bet that we will be promoting many DSL players to the GCL.

One more thing about Junior Lara, then I'll shut up.  I noticed when he wasn't in centerfield, he was in right.  So not only can he hit, he's fast, and he's got a right fielder's arm.  That's what we used to call a 5 tool player.

There were 2 standout 19 year old pitchers, Morillo and Vasquez.  Both right handed starters. They were on different teams.  The only 17 year old pitcher of note was Deivy Cruz a smallish lefthander, $200,000 bonus.  But as I recall he had more strikeouts than innings.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting.   Basallo, Maikol Hernandez and De los Santos are the only three who played in the DSL only this year.   Basallo and Hernandez were the two highest profile signins.  De los Santos, arguably, the top peformer.   Luis Gonzalez, the highest profile signing from two years ago along with Luis Ortiz (who is not there) the pitcher, is also there.

Bringing De los Santos over with Basallo and Hernandez says something.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So are fall instructs finished, or are they still down there?   Seems like we got a big flurry of interviews and photos/videos over the last 2-3 days after not hearing much after the camp roster was announced.    

They were probably giving classes on how to handle the media and those interviews were to judge how much they learned.