Elias Q&A with Meoli

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, now said:

The reason presumably is that ownership prefers to allot its resources to a more likely contender than the 2022 team. If it was your money, wouldn't you do the same? Or do you think (like most govts these days) you can just spend more now and lots more later?

I’m not going to assume anything.

Pro sports are unlike any industry in the world.  While it’s still a business and profit is still important, things shouldn’t be done at the expense of winning, at least not over a 4-6 year period of time.  There should be more pride in winning and putting a product on the field your fans want to pay to see.  

So yes, I would be spending because it’s easy to spend now when you have no real money on the books anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not going to assume anything.

Pro sports are unlike any industry in the world.  While it’s still a business and profit is still important, things shouldn’t be done at the expense of winning, at least not over a 4-6 year period of time.  There should be more pride in winning and putting a product on the field your fans want to pay to see.  

So yes, I would be spending because it’s easy to spend now when you have no real money on the books anytime soon.

Interesting. So pro sports then should operate more like a government--to satisfy citizen desires regardless of budget or costs or debt--than like a business, concerned with profit/loss and ROI? Not that I know anything... but it helps to understand the economic basis of this perennial argument over team spending.

14 minutes ago, now said:

Interesting. So pro sports then should operate more like a government--to satisfy citizen desires regardless of budget or costs or debt--than like a business, concerned with profit/loss and ROI? Not that I know anything... but it helps to understand the economic basis of this perennial argument over team spending.

Lol at govt satisfying citizens desires

• Haha 1