Clint Frazier?

Yardball85

2 hours ago, yark14 said:

To be clear, I don't want Frazier.  He doesn't add anything to our team.  But I do want us to spend money where it is beneficial.

Absolutely I agree with that 100%, I am very much in the group that wants to start spending money now. Not stupid money, intelligent money, but now.

Frazier is a former 5th pick in the draft, Baseball Prospectus had him as baseball's 16th best prospect in 2017.  He's consistently OPS'd in the .800's in the minors and is regarded as a very good defensive OFer.  He's been held back because of a significant neurological problem that's caused vision problems and vertigo.  Having just turned 27, he has some potential.  The key for him appears to be overcoming the neurological problem.  He may not make it, but he's a much more interesting choice than Stewart, imo.        

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Frazier is a former 5th pick in the draft, Baseball Prospectus had him as baseball's 16th best prospect in 2017.  He's consistently OPS'd in the .800's in the minors and is regarded as a very good defensive OFer.  He's been held back because of a significant neurological problem that's caused vision problems and vertigo.  Having just turned 27, he has some potential.  The key for him appears to be overcoming the neurological problem.  He may not make it, but he's a much more interesting choice than Stewart, imo.        

Fraizer does not grade out well as a fielder on advanced metrics. Last year his UZR/150 was -21.1 and DRS was -11.

2020 is the only year where Fraizer grades out ok as a fielder. With the options the Orioles have in the outfield, I don't have much interest in getting Frazier plus he might never return to full health. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/clint-frazier/15983/stats?position=OF

46 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Fraizer does not grade out well as a fielder on advanced metrics. Last year his UZR/150 was -21.1 and DRS was -11.

2020 is the only year where Fraizer grades out ok as a fielder. With the options the Orioles have in the outfield, I don't have much interest in getting Frazier plus he might never return to full health. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/clint-frazier/15983/stats?position=OF

I'm going by the scouting reports of him from 5 or so years ago - when the consensus was he probably wouldn't stay at CF but was a very good defensive RFer.  I'd take scouting reports over defensive minor league stats - though both could be bad.          

31 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'm going by the scouting reports of him from 5 or so years ago - when the consensus was he probably wouldn't stay at CF but was a very good defensive RFer.  I'd take scouting reports over defensive minor league stats - though both could be bad.          

Advanced metrics aren't the final word on a player's defensive abilities, but Frazier hasn't graded out well during is MLB tenure. He did fare better in RF in 2020, so maybe it was the injuries last season affecting his game.

I'm not high on Frazier, but if Elias decided to sign him I won't complain either. I just want a couple average starting pitchers and a 3B for next year. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I agree - and am pretty dumbfounded by most of the posts in this thread. Frazier's been a quality player when he's been able to stay healthy. I would be very surprised if he signed somewhere for much money at all, given his dizziness issues. Exactly the type of low-risk, high-reward player the Orioles should be after. 

20 minutes ago, Porky said:

Yeah, I agree - and am pretty dumbfounded by most of the posts in this thread. Frazier's been a quality player when he's been able to stay healthy. I would be very surprised if he signed somewhere for much money at all, given his dizziness issues. Exactly the type of low-risk, high-reward player the Orioles should be after. 

Clint Frazier has a career WAR of 0.2 and a 104 OPS+ for his career. Even if you discount last season he's at 1.1 WAR and 114 OPS+. That's alright, but nothing about it screams special other than Frazier ranking as the 17th best prospect in baseball at one time. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

If Frazier played 2B, SS or 3B we should be all over a player like that...low risk with at least a potential for a reward. As others have pointed out his position makes him less desirable. If Elias is confident in knowing why he was so bad last year and feeling he is over it (or we could help him over it), I don't see the harm in bringing him in, but likewise, given our depth in the OF, I don't see it as a missed opportunity if we don't. 

Given the limited information that I know (and obviously Elias would have access to more info, particularly health related), I would take him on the team over Stewart and probably Neustrom, but I think I would prefer Santander and Stowers (though later in the year) over him. So, for him, he'd potentially take Stewart's roster spot which is a bit volatile anyway.  

What if said player can be used to play another position therefore freeing an option to trade away  current player that can help you get a position of need.  At this point we should just be stockpiling talent or players with potential and upside.  We can figure out who plays where and what pieces we need later. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:48 AM, Ruzious said:

You say that like you think we have any interest in keeping Stewart. No. Rule number one is never require somebody who is worse than what you already have.

16 hours ago, Philip said:

He can’t hit, his defense is terrible, and he has health issues. Why do you guys think he’s worth any money at all? He’s not. If he were healthy, But he’s not. If he were great on defense but he’s not, and so on. Look elsewhere.

Agree. Stowers will be up sometime in '22 anyway with no open spots currently to play him. I wouldnt bother with Frazier.