O's players that have nothing more to prove at AAA.

wildcard

35 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nobody wants to see guys get jammed up in AAA just because of service time constraints.

However, the frequency of such events is wildly exaggerated on this board- usually to support a small cadre of posters who assert they could have returned the O's to competitiveness earlier- the basis of which is usually they would have brought AR up earlier.

The Orioles could unquestionably be a far better team in 2022 while still having the long term plan in tact.

Doubting that is just ignorance.  

That’s not an opinion thing..that’s not my ideas are better than yours.  That’s just a fact.  

26 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Do you think if he's up 4/17, instead of 4/1, there won't be any accompanying excitement?  

Is there not more excitement on OD than 15 days later? Would it not be much more exciting for the players and the fans to see the future of their club on OD? There is excitement anytime someone comes up but obviously I am not talking about the assumed excitement I am talking about what would be more exciting or "generated" I hope I spelled this out well enough to not get a smart response again. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure looked like you did just a short while ago.

No, I simply live in the real world.

The one in which no matter the rules there will be teams operating within those rules to benefit themselves primarily.

If that means every decade or so the Orioles keep some guy down in the MiLs for two extra weeks, I can live with that.

That is not a soapbox I feel the need to climb up on and use as a bully pulpit.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MijiT88 said:

Is there not more excitement on OD than 15 days later? Would it not be much more exciting for the players and the fans to see the future of their club on OD? There is excitement anytime someone comes up but obviously I am not talking about the assumed excitement I am talking about what would be more exciting or "generated" I hope I spelled this out well enough to not get a smart response again. 

I understand the sentiment.  And you're not wrong.

But under the current rules, the O's would be foolish to bring AR up before 4/15.

And any change in those rules would certainly result in the Orioles having team control of AR for one less season.  I can't root for that just to see him two weeks earlier.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles could unquestionably be a far better team in 2022 while still having the long term plan in tact.

Doubting that is just ignorance.  

That’s not an opinion thing..that’s not my ideas are better than yours.  That’s just a fact.  

No one denies this.

What you ignore time and again is that there is risk associated with any such plan such as you have laid out.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No, I simply live in the real world.

The one in which no matter the rules there will be teams operating within those rules to benefit themselves primarily.

If that means every decade or so the Orioles keep some guy down in the MiLs for two extra weeks, I can live with that.

That is not a soapbox I feel the need to climb up on and use as a bully pulpit.  

No, you are advocating for someone getting "Jammed up".  When presented with a scenario in which such manipulation could not occur you repudiated it.  You didn't say, "Yea that would be great but under the current system...."  You want the current system in place because you feel it benefits your personal fandom.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, you are advocating for someone getting "Jammed up".  When presented with a scenario in which such manipulation could not occur you repudiated it.  You didn't say, "Yea that would be great but under the current system...."  You want the current system in place because you feel it benefits your personal fandom.

In this particular case, yes.

I don't need to apologize for that to anybody- least of all you and your pedantry.

And to be clear, you never presented a scenario in which such manipulation wouldn't occur.  You at best presented a system in which other manipulation would occur.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

In this particular case, yes.

I don't need to apologize for that to anybody- least of all you and your pedantry.  

I wasn't asking you to apologize for your selfishness.  I just wanted you to acknowledge it.  😉

So now we know at least one guy "wants to see guys get jammed up in AAA just because of service time constraints."

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't asking you to apologize for your selfishness.  I just wanted you to acknowledge it.  😉

So now we know at least one guy "wants to see guys get jammed up in AAA just because of service time constraints."

I repeat, you're not Cesar Chavez.

You're not Mother Theresa.

You're just a pedantic, annoying poster, with a strange need to protect your virtue by "protecting" the "rights" of a multimillionaire, who is almost sure to make tens of millions of more in the next decade.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No sh!t.  There is a risk with any plan.  You don’t think the plan Elias is going with has risk?

Well, you've made statements such as lighting tens of millions of dollars on fire with terrible contracts doesn't "hurt" the O's chances to be competitive and successful in any way.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, you've made statements such as lighting tens of millions of dollars on fire with terrible contracts doesn't "hurt" the O's chances to be competitive and successful in any way.

Way to totally F up what I said, not that I expect you to actually represent me properly.  

What I said was that if they sign a few short term deals that don’t work out that the money won’t hurt them..and it won’t.  

I assume you understand simple math and player contracts.  It’s not hard to figure out what the payroll is going to be over the next 3-5 years with the players we think will be here.

If we pissed away 15M on a player who fails, it won’t hurt the team.   The payroll will be so low and the players on the team will be so inexpensive that it won’t matter.

This isn’t a difficult concept to figure out.

I put together multiple teams that wouldn’t cost more than 70M right now and long term would be very cheap and have plenty of payroll to add and I’m doing that while not mortgaging any future or losing any long term flexibility.  

It’s not hard to do.  In fact, it’s the exact thing Elias is aiming to accomplish.  Literally nothing different than what I’m saying…except I think they should start now and he wants to keep waiting…or should I say ownership wants to keep waiting.  

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I'd have a more optimistic outlook towards McKenna if he had a .750 OPS (even .700). I'm just not sure his defense can make up for a sub-600 OPS

McKenna has not had everyday at bats in Baltimore. He may never get them, either. But I can’t make any conclusions based on what I have seen in his sporadic play. I am not saying he is destined for stardom, but perhaps a solid 4th OF.