Orioles sign Chris Owings

Sports Guy

Depth and versatility. I don't know if he breaks camp with the team, but is a fine option for a few ABs when injuries require someone to come up and be added to the 40-man that we then don't really care too much if we lose when he needs to be sent back down. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you say its an ok depth move, that is defending it.  

I mean, it is an okay depth move. It wouldn't be if it was a Major League deal and I won't be particularly happy if he makes the team out of Spring Training. There's nothing to really love about this deal, but I really don't see anything to hate about it either. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If you say its an ok depth move, that is defending it.  

Ok, if saying I'm ok with signing a super utility guy to a minor league contract is your definition of defending it, then sure, I'm defending it. lol

You crack me up sometimes. Norfolk needs some depth guys as well and a guy who can play just about every position decently is not a bad guy to have in the org. 

Now if we signed him to a major league contract and Elias said he's going to be the everyday "fill in the blank" I'd have issues. Otherwise, it's just a depth move which all teams are making. 

Every signing does not need to "move the needle" to be ok.

• Upvote 3