Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like we are in very good shape. Try not to get to down as we will probably continue to hear we aren't in it. Let me be clear....WE ARE IN IT!

From the other board, 3 days ago.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_Yfq0F0WE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_Yfq0F0WE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tex is a union rep. He signed the CBA for his team (along with Roberts who is another union rep). The one recurring mantra of the MLBPA is you go to the highest bidder, it's like their slogan. PR has nothing to do with it.

I guess I'm overvaluing people's desire to be loved. He'll be viewed as a villain in his hometown. If that's worth an extra million a year, that's up to him I guess.

Good post. I am not knocking Belkast, but his sources must have been wrong on this issue. Not his fault, just the facts. So why continue to believe there is a wow offer? And why continue to bring that up?

I just dont get it.

The notion of a "wow offer" is stupid in the first place.

With Scott Boras, there is no such thing as a "wow offer."

Each higher offer is the new standard. Even if he was to be offered 8/200, 10/225, or whatever else, Scott Boras isn't gonna stop and go "Wow! That's awesome! Where do we sign?!?" All he's going to do is take it to the other teams and then ask them for more. A "wow offer" with a Boras client is absolutely ridiculous.

Let's all get this idea out of our heads so we can resume rational discussion.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_Yfq0F0WE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_Yfq0F0WE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What is that? Ugh, ruins a great Kansas song.

Is everybody really FREAKING THE HELL OUT over a post by Roch? Didn't we already figure the Nats would offer the most out of all involved? Just because they are offering the most doesn't necessarily mean they are "taking the lead" in anything.

Everybody is underestimating how badly PGA wants Tex and how badly he would want to keep him from going to the Nationals IMO...

I think if you are arguing that he's not worth $23M over 8-10 years, you could make a decent case.

But if your argument is he's not worth that much over 6-7, then you've got very little argument. He's worth probably close to $30M over the next several years. He's a 5.5-6 WAR player, times about $5M per WAR on the FA market, and he should be getting something in the $27-30M annually. Figure that he'll decline a bit over years 33-37, and he still should be a pretty safe bet for something in the 6/$150M-7/$175M range. So going 8/$160M is no sweat at all. 8/$184-192M would be fine by me. The analysis fangraph's did earlier in the offseason really made me reconsider what I thought the most I'd go would be (originally 8/$160M).

When the total dollars go beyond about $200-208M is when I drop out.

Valuing WAR at $5m is the type of stat that could only be dreamed up by an agent. I don't understand the logic of using a stat to place a value on a player using the baseline only inflated FA contracts instead of the multitude of other ways players can be acquired.

Archived