2022 8th Round Pick (#227): Cameron Weston - RHP - (Jr) University of Michigan

2022 8th Round Pick (#227): Cameron Weston - RHP - (Jr) University of Michigan
Stats
https://mgoblue.com/sports/baseball/roster/cameron-weston/22634

Ranked #337 prospect in 2021 draft
Weston only became eligible for the 2021 draft when it was moved back to July, thanks to a birthday in August. A short righthander listed at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, Weston was lights out as a reliever for Michigan in the shortened 2020 season and made a successful transition to a starting role this spring. He posted a 2.81 ERA over 83.1 innings and 14 starts, with 69 strikeouts (7.5 K/9) and 29 walks (3.1 BB/9). He has a solid, but unspectacular, three-pitch mix, including a fastball that sits in the 90-92 mph range and touches 95, a fringy breaking ball around 80 mph and a changeup in the upper 70s and low 80s that might be his best overall pitch. He goes to it regularly and can land it down in the zone to both sides of the plate. There’s no carrying tool or pitch with Weston, nor is there significant physical projection, but he’s young for the class and shows solid pitching ability.

Initial take: His split-change is his outpitch and if he can maintain his velocity in the mid-90s vs closer to low 90s he's got a chance.

Baseball America from 2021

Ranked #337 prospect in 2021 draft
Weston only became eligible for the 2021 draft when it was moved back to July, thanks to a birthday in August. A short righthander listed at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, Weston was lights out as a reliever for Michigan in the shortened 2020 season and made a successful transition to a starting role this spring. He posted a 2.81 ERA over 83.1 innings and 14 starts, with 69 strikeouts (7.5 K/9) and 29 walks (3.1 BB/9). He has a solid, but unspectacular, three-pitch mix, including a fastball that sits in the 90-92 mph range and touches 95, a fringy breaking ball around 80 mph and a changeup in the upper 70s and low 80s that might be his best overall pitch. He goes to it regularly and can land it down in the zone to both sides of the plate. There’s no carrying tool or pitch with Weston, nor is there significant physical projection, but he’s young for the class and shows solid pitching ability.

• Thanks 1

Well it's nice to see we are using some top 10 round picks on pitching for a change.

Elias' first 3 years drafting, rounds 1-10:   4 pitchers, 22 position players

So far this year:  4 pitchers, 6 position players (if you count McLean as a pitcher, which he is listed as)

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

Gave up 92 hits in 81 IP with 92 K's and .281 average against. 

They see something they think they can unlock.

I'm assuming that changeup has something to do with it.  

Seems a bit underwhelming though.  I've not seen a Mayo/Baumler type today.  Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think I am.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm assuming that changeup has something to do with it.  

Seems a bit underwhelming though.  I've not seen a Mayo/Baumler type today.  Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think I am.

Whether it was  a change or splitter,  it looked useful. 

I'm gonna trust the algorithms and information they have available, particularly with Beavers, Wagner and McLean. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If we are going to take someone overslot, why does it have to be today?  Is there a rule that you can't go overslot after round 10?  

No.  You can still use your slot savings after round 10.  There’s no slots after round 10 though.  I believe anything over 100k is “overslot” unless something has changed. 

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

No.  You can still use your slot savings after round 10.  There’s no slots after round 10 though.  I believe anything over 100k is “overslot” unless something has changed. 

This. And you don't lose the slot amount if the player isn't signed. The team went with safer signs in the top-10 rounds. I'm expecting a couple high upside HS picks in the next 10 rounds with the hope of signing one or two of them using the savings.

• 2 weeks later...