The market for short stops

2001OriolesFan

2 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

I wonder how much trade value Urias has. With his versatility, I think his actual value is quite high but probably higher for other teams than us, since our infield depth is pretty good. But given his relatively short history, I don't know how much that translates into trade value. His peripherals have been good all year though.

Next year, I could see Gunnar, Westburg and Mateo having the primary spots, with Urias as a DJ LeMahieu type who plays every day but moves around to let a regular rest or DH. That doesn't leave room for Vavra.

I think that the flexibility that Vavra, Mateo, Urias, Henderson and Westburg all have means that they can survive on the same 26 man roster. I can envision an infield with Henderson/Westburg and one of Urias or Mateo are pretty regular at a given position but with Vavra, Urias and/or Mateo moving around almost daily with the guy not playing that day in the DH spot. I guess the real rub comes when/if you also have outfielders beating down the door too. The O's have done a great job building in position flexibility into their PD model. 

31 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I guess I don't see the reasoning behind relegating Westburg to super utility status. Isn't the consensus that he's a better defensive shortstop than Henderson?

I'm wondering if the move is to trade Westburg for pitching rather than make him a super utility guy.  Westburg is a top 100 guy on most prospect lists.  The Marlins' Lopez is mentioned as a trade target for the O's.  It's presumed that Hays or Mullins would be the Marlins ask for Lopez.  I'm wondering if a package including Westburg would interest them instead?

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

3B Henderson 

SS Mateo

2B Urias

Westburg could be a super utility type who plays everyday. He already has experience at all 3 infield spots and no doubt can play 1B as well.  He also has a good arm and speed which should translate to the OF.

Or Westburg could just become a GG caliber 1B and the Orioles could trade Mountcastle or move him to DH the majority of the time.

Or the Orioles could trade Mateo and/or Urias but I'm of the opinion that their trade value, particularly in Mateo's case, is not optimal yet.

I agree with most of this. I think Urias is a keeper when they move on from Odor after the season.  It seems like we can trade some of our middle infielders for young starters.