The Detroit Tigers

86this

• 7 months later...

I think the Orioles draft strategy during the Elias era in focusing on growing the bats and not so much on growing the arms.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly.

So why bring up him being a HS pitcher?

IMO, you just have to score a win on who you draft so high.  $6.9 million signing bonus.  Ouch.

1 minute ago, 86this said:

I think the Orioles draft strategy during the Elias era in focusing on growing the bats and not so much on growing the arms.  

IMO, you just have to score a win on who you draft so high.  $6.9 million signing bonus.  Ouch.

The O's drafted a guy 1-2 that missed more than a full season before he played a game for them.

I'm not willing to write the young man off just yet but, to me, that's a really scary diagnosis. 

If you could redraft that year, would you rather have Lawlar (consensus Top 15 prospect) or Cowser and Norby (both borderline Top 100 guys)? Their two bonuses about equaled Lawlar's.

I like Cowser and Norby, but so far I'd say Mike picked wrong there. It will be interesting to check in again in a few years.

18 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

If you could redraft that year, would you rather have Lawlar (consensus Top 15 prospect) or Cowser and Norby (both borderline Top 100 guys)? Their two bonuses about equaled Lawlar's.

I like Cowser and Norby, but so far I'd say Mike picked wrong there. It will be interesting to check in again in a few years.

I'm still saying Lawlar was the right pick there, but I'm not a huge Cowser believer given his platoon splits and Ks increase as he's moved up in professional ball. And if Norby can't stay at second, he's too short for first so you're sticking him LF where he doesn't really have the arm to handle it.

I'm glad both Cowser and Norby are in our system, and I'm rooting for them, but I would've taken Lawlar.