Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

Just now, seak05 said:

Do you honestly think this? I'm genuinely curious. Because I just don't understand how you can think not playing, even at a high level, is better then playing? If you're on the bench, you're not facing live pitching, or playing live defense. Most players find it extremely hard to even keep their timing in that situation, never mind improve 

I most certainly think value exists in getting acclimated to ML ballparks, travel, pitching, schedule, teammates ect.

I wouldn't recommend an entire season of it but if you have a guy that is in AAA just to get reps I can see where getting to the next level, even with limited opportunities to play, would be move valuable.

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Seen a number of posts about how service time shouldn’t be a factor for Stowers because we’re talking about 2029 (and that’s very far off) and he’ll be 31 and all that. 

Just want to point out that it’s not just about how long we get to keep him. It’s also probably about trying to preserve as much value in Kyle Stowers the asset as we can, isn’t it?

Let’s say it’s December 2023 (or July 2024 or beyond), and we’re looking at trying to swing a deal for our Verlander or Cole. That extra year of control (or extra year of pre-arbitration status) adds value to Stowers as a potential trade piece. Especially for a team whose “contention window” is a couple years away or who is trying to keep costs down. 

We can (and surely will) argue until we’re blue in the face about how much value it adds. But there’s no doubt that it does add some. I don’t think we have to look much further for proof of that than seeing a guy like Cedric Mullins — a nearly 28-year-old average bat with good defense and baserunning value — checking in as the #33 trade asset in the entire sport per Fangraphs. That lofty position is in very large part related to the number of years of team control remaining. Young cost-controlled players who have proven themselves at the MLB level are the most valuable commodity out there. Preserving a year of team control for a guy like Stowers isn’t just about keeping him in Baltimore for 2029 then — it’s also about maximizing the currency we have available to bring in a player who could help put us over the top in 2024 and 2025. 

I did mention that the O's might be able to get an extra 40 grade player for him with the extra service time!

Value!

Maybe get a Moose special too!

Edited by Can_of_corn

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I did mention that the O's might be able to get an extra 40 grade player for him with the extra service time!

Value!

Think the difference between 3 months of Manny Machado and 1 year 3 months was a 40 grade player?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Think the difference between 3 months of Manny Machado and 1 year 3 months was a 40 grade player?

Do you think Manny Machado is a good comp for Kyle Stowers?

I'm literally shaking my head at how poor a post that was.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think any good player is a good comp when it comes to having that extra year.  Will Kyle Stowers have the same kind of value as Manny Machado?   Not really the point.  IF Stowers becomes an All-star OF hitting 35 bombs a year, then he'll have a lot more value at 28-29 with 2 years of service time than with 1 year of service time.    I have no idea what kind of career Stowers will have.   He may have no value.  He may have a ton.

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you kidding me?

1st, Hyde isn’t benching Odor. It’s not happening so you are wasting time saying it.

2nd, Elias traded and agreed to pay approximately $600,000 for Phillips knowing exactly who he is. You actually expect them to cut him now and eat that? You don’t know the Orioles

3rd Vavra minor league OBP is .410 and his OPS is .878. Plus he’s producing. His minor league numbers suggest he’s a capable MLB hitter so it isn’t a SSS!

4th  Stowers is a .360 OBP and around 900 OPS. 

So why you are starving for Stowers over Vavra at DH is not supported statistically. 

McKenna is playing well despite playing sporadically. And Vavra seems to be hitting well despite being a DH. A lot of guys don’t play well in a part time role and not all guys can thrive as a DH. 

Hmmm... why the sharp post? Isn't this a message board for all ideas?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm literally shaking my head at how poor a post that was.

I'm trying not say anything that will get me a one day suspension.   It ain't easy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm trying not say anything that will get me a one day suspension.   It ain't easy.

Yea, I can relate after reading your last couple of posts, I'm right there with you, just with a superior vocabulary.

You comped Stowers to a possible future Hall of Famer that was in the majors at 19 and then tried to defend it.

Edited by Can_of_corn

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I most certainly think value exists in getting acclimated to ML ballparks, travel, pitching, schedule, teammates ect.

I wouldn't recommend an entire season of it but if you have a guy that is in AAA just to get reps I can see where getting to the next level, even with limited opportunities to play, would be move valuable.

I actually agree with all of this (well maybe not the travel, not sure how much acclimating is needed going from busses to private jets), but if you're not playing you're not getting acclimated to the ballparks or the pitching. 

I'm with you on bringing up Stowers if he could get in the lineup 3-4x a week because I do think he's basically gotten all he can out of Triple A, but I'm not really interested in calling him up for a Nevin role. I just think he's actually more valuable staying sharp in Triple A at that point in case someone gets injured. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I actually agree with all of this (well maybe not the travel, not sure how much acclimating is needed going from busses to private jets), but if you're not playing you're not getting acclimated to the ballparks or the pitching. 

I'm with you on bringing up Stowers if he could get in the lineup 3-4x a week because I do think he's basically gotten all he can out of Triple A, but I'm not really interested in calling him up for a Nevin role. I just think he's actually more valuable staying sharp in Triple A at that point in case someone gets injured. 

I think that if he's more talented than Nevin he'll get into more games than Nevin.

As for travel, you don't get jet lag on a Greyhound.

57 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Hmmm... why the sharp post? Isn't this a message board for all ideas?

Not sharp …but Elias is pretty transparent with his actions and what he says. 

At least I didn’t accuse you of being utterly ignorant 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Value!

I don’t know that I’m 100% convinced that an extra (cheap) prime year of a 3-3.5 win player, which I think is a reasonable optimistic projection for Stowers, is only worth a 40 grade prospect in trade value. 

But let’s say that it is. That’s a Joey Ortiz, Darell Hernaiz, Conor Norby, Drew Rom type that you don’t have to throw into a deal for an established player along with Stowers. Probably not going to make or break you, but Cedric Mullins was a 40 grade prospect. So were Ramon Urias, Anthony Santander, Austin Hays, Dillon Tate, Jorge Lopez, John Means, Trey Mancini, etc. Felix Bautista wished he could be a 40 grade prospect. 

As you’ll rightly point out, most 40 grade prospects turn into zilch. But we’re all enjoying watching a team made up largely of former 40 grade (or lower) prospects compete for the playoffs, so there’s obviously some value in collecting those kinds of players and seeing who clicks. And I think what we can take from the Rays’ success is that to compete consistently with teams that far outmatch your resources, you have to be willing to seize every bit of marginal value you can. 

I should note for the record, if I had the reins, I too would probably have had Stowers up and Vavra at 2B. Just to try to raise the ceiling on this year’s roster. But I also don’t think their decision is indefensible.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t know that I’m 100% convinced that an extra (cheap) prime year of a 3-3.5 win player, which I think is a reasonable optimistic projection for Stowers, is only worth a 40 grade prospect in trade value. 

But let’s say that it is. That’s a Joey Ortiz, Darell Hernaiz, Conor Norby, Drew Rom type that you don’t have to throw into a deal for an established player along with Stowers. Probably not going to make or break you, but Cedric Mullins was a 40 grade prospect. So were Ramon Urias, Anthony Santander, Austin Hays, Dillon Tate, Jorge Lopez, John Means, Trey Mancini, etc. Felix Bautista wished he could be a 40 grade prospect. 

As you’ll rightly point out, most 40 grade prospects turn into zilch. But we’re all enjoying watching a team made up largely of former 40 grade (or lower) prospects compete for the playoffs, so there’s obviously some value in collecting those kinds of players and seeing who clicks. And I think what we can take from the Rays’ success is that to compete consistently with teams that far outmatch your resources, you have to be willing to seize every bit of marginal value you can. 

I should note for the record, if I had the reins, I too would probably have had Stowers up and Vavra at 2B. Just to try to raise the ceiling on this year’s roster. But I also don’t think their decision is indefensible.

I don't think a 3-3.5 win player is a reasonable optimistic projection for Stowers.  That's putting him in a top 50 position player territory.

And sure a 40 rank guy could be something, but Stowers on the team this year could theoretically lead to a playoff appearance and even if the O's don't advance how much is that worth?  Him getting acclimated this season could theoretically  lead to a better season next year which could have positive ramifications.