Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

But he didn't downgrade at 2B, DeRosa was slotted for RF, where Bradley will replace his production, and Fontenot will stay at 2B. Dumping salary basically was just fiddling to offset the money it would take to replace DeRosa's production. I don't get it personally, I think they were better off just keeping DeRosa, and dumping Marquis for whatever, maybe Davearm has some insight.

This is all being done to clear room for a Peavy trade. So in the end the Cubs are making an aggressive move, but they did somewhat hurt their lineup and their clubhouse in the short term. Bradley is one bad man.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, but the point remains.

Essentially replacing DeRosa with Miles is not an upgrade to the MLB roster.

Now if those three pitchers are used to get Peavy, then that changes things drastically.

Hendry is in better position to make deals like this.

I was agreeing with you, sorry, internet lack of context. I don't get any of it, it makes no sense, Bradley + Miles < DeRosa + Marquis, even if they do save about $3 mil. They could have just traded Marquis and ate $5 mil and saved more than that.

Okay, but the point remains.

Essentially replacing DeRosa with Miles is not an upgrade to the MLB roster.

Now if those three pitchers are used to get Peavy, then that changes things drastically.

Hendry is in better position to make deals like this.

What he's doing is moving salary around to bring in a better talent. He's upgrading the talent level of the team.

How good are Flores and Havens? You would have to get a very, very significant return to trade Roberts and take on Castillo's salary.

I forgot that Castillo is signed through 2011, so maybe a third prospect would be needed.

However, they're the Mets 1st and 5th ranked prospects according to Sickels. Flores with a B+(same ranking as our big 3 pitchers), Havens is a B, which is higher than any of our position prospects other than Wieters.

This is all being done to clear room for a Peavy trade. So in the end the Cubs are making an aggressive move, but they did somewhat hurt their lineup and their clubhouse in the short term. Bradley is one bad man.

In theory, but along with everything talking about the DeRosa trade, they are saying the Peavy talks are DONE and not going on per ESPN, sorry can't link right this second.

Either way, those players they got back should not be considered pieces for SD, I don't even get why CHC took them for DeRosa. It looks like a salary dump, which also doesn't make any sense since they could have done that better by just dumping Marquis.

I think his history shows he's one who goes on the cheap. Has he ever signed a major free agent? Big signing bonus to a draft pick? Big dollar extension.

Sorry, bigbird, that doesn't explain it.

You seem to be on MacPhail's case about trades as much as anything, and the 'going on the cheap' tag doesn't really apply.

What he's doing is moving salary around to bring in a better talent. He's upgrading the talent level of the team.

How is that better talent? Their 2008 numbers are very similar with a bit better average from Bradley. Much less money for DeRosa, and the position flexibility easily negates the average difference.

I forgot that Castillo is signed through 2011, so maybe a third prospect would be needed.

However, they're the Mets 1st and 5th ranked prospects according to Sickels. Flores with a B+(same ranking as our big 3 pitchers), Havens is a B, which is higher than any of our position prospects other than Wieters.

I wouldn't use Sickel's current ratings as hard evidence. They are still preliminary.

Sorry, bigbird, that doesn't explain it.

You seem to be on MacPhail's case about trades as much as anything, and the 'going on the cheap' tag doesn't really apply.

When have I ever said anything about his trades. I've said many a time he did very well and supported those moves. That being said I've said he needs to do more and not rest on those few deals.

How does McPhail spending a whole lot of money on tier 2 free agents make us an efficient team?

It's not the spending money part, it's about acquiring talent.

Hinske/Sexson and Hendrickson are not talent.

We need to be making trades/signings for the future, not signing stopgaps...

Archived